My new turtles shell turned red

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

just 3 days ago I went to my local pet store to get a buddy for my other turtle (Bart).I picked out the prettiest turtle (RES) I have ever seen, He had a BRIGHT green shell. I took him home and put him in the tank with bart. Everything seemed to be fine but when I woke up the very next morning milhouse had a dark red tint to his shell. The red tint has not lessened or gotten worse it is pretty much the same since the second day.....Whats wrong with milhouse, any help would be greatly appreciated...P.S. the red is all over top and bottom of shell but you can still see hints of the pretty green through the red.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

This isn\'t any kind of film from the water? Is the new turtle healthy? Do the lines between the scutes look reddened like blood has seeped into them? If you gently press on the plastron (bottom shell) does the pressed-on area turn a light color then back to red? If so and if the turtle seems lethargic/withdrawn (not when you touch or pick it up but generally so) it should be taken to a herp vet, the sooner the better. The symptoms listed indicate septicemia (blood poisoning). If this is what your turtle has, it needs antibiotics to rid it of the infection.

no there is no film in the water (the filter works well)the lines between the scutes have no red in the like blood, and the turtle is very active. he plays with the other turtle all the time. The color appears to me to be part of his shell, it is \"in\" the shell. think now that he is going to be healthy, though I am going to contact a vet (hopefully I can find one with turtle experience) today and see what he says.
Thanks a bunch if anything else comes to anyone ....like have you heard of this happening before please let me know
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

So glad to hear that you are responsible and taking it to be checked just incase. Please let us know what it is.
  • Information