Discussions about turtles.
Myrtle
Level 1
Level 1

I was just wandering if anyone can help me figure out my turtle\'s age (to determine how often I should feed him). He is about 4 inches long. Does this mean he is over 1 year old? Thanks, me and Myrtle.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

It sounds to me that your turtle is a little over a year old possibly older. Many sites say you feed a turtle as much as you think could fit into its head. I would feed it once a day.
:> T
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Once they are a year or older they only need to be fed every other day. You can however float veggies for it to graze on. I put romaine lettuce or carrot shavings in the tank. Other veggies with the exception of broccoli, spinach, and cabbage are good.
Myrtle
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks- I have been feeding him the reptile sticks and now romaine lettuce (some days he eats carrots- some days he won\'t). I will alternate the reptile sticks to every other day then. He also gets dried shrimp as a treat once in a while. I also give him a calcium supplement and multivitamin supplement once a week (is that enough?). I swear- he always thinks he is hungry though.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Until they are a year old, my vet recommended coating the food in calcium powder everyday. You can float a cuttlebone, after removing the backing and let your turtle nibble on it as it chooses. These are a good calcium source. Mine wont touch it so I just coat the food.
Myrtle
Level 1
Level 1

I only saw cuttlebone in the bird section at the one pet store- so I didn\'t buy it. Am I correct in thinking that there is cuttlebone made specifically for reptiles, or is it all the same? In the meantime, I will continue to give my turt the powder supplement.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

No it is the cuttlebone for birds, but if you peel off the backing you can give it to your turtle.
  • Information