nuking water for the tank

Discussions about turtles.
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

is it safe to nuke water to heat up the tank? After a water change, the water is around 60 degrees. I\'ve had it sitting out for 3 days but my house is cold. The heater will take 2-3 hours to heat it up to 78 degrees.
I heard from someone that using hot tap water is bad (chemicals?) so I\'ve taken to microwaving cold tap water to speed it up. I could boil water but the pots have a oily film on them no matter how hard I wash them.
Any ideas?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

It takes a while for my turtle\'s water to heat as well after it\'s been changed, and I heat some water on the stove and add it to the container to bring up the temp. It would be good to have a thermometer to check the temp for make sure it\'s OK before adding your turtle to it. Also, it\'s good to let your water heater sit in the water for about 15 minutes before you turn it on (if the water is cold, there\'s less chance of it cracking/breaking if it\'s had time to adjust to the water temp.).
Last edited by mariza on Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

thanks. I have been letting the water sit and also adding Reptisafe to get rid of any chlorine/ammonia left in it. I just didn\'t know if microwaving water will do anything to taint the water. I think it\'s ok though since all a microwave will do is move the molecules of the water around to heat it.. and the turtles don\'t seem bothered by it. Will let you know if I see otherwise!
  • Information