King Kong Turtle

Discussions about turtles.
Julie L
Level 1
Level 1

I\'ve had 2 turtles for about 10 months. I know the previous owner had them for a few years. When I got them they were both a little bigger than quarters, and they were in one of those tiny Death Lagoons. I got them a 10 gal tank. They grew. I got them a 20 gal tank in Nov and already one of the turtles has grown to about 5 inches and she is shedding for the 3rd time since Nov. I can\'t keep up with her. I\'m wondering if the big one is growing extra fast because she is supposed to be that size anyway. I am going to start feeding her less, but is there anything I can do?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

They will grow just as people do at different rates. However you should be sure you are not feeding them more than will fit in their heads (not neck) once a day. Once they are a year old then only every other day. Be sure you are not giving too much protein. If they seem hungry still you can float veggies in the tank for free eating. Romaine is good and so is Red leaf lettuce, no iceberg. Hope this helps
Julie L
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

They are RES (seems odd they were the size of quarters when the previous owner had them a few years and you\'ve had them 10 months)?

Also check the temps in their set-up. Too warm and it will encourage growth (and shedding). Water temp. 76-80F (since from what you said they\'re almost three years old, 76-78F would be OK.

Since they\'re not babies (over a year), feed every other day, the portion size previously mentioned. Veggies can be given every day (see http://www.turtlepuddle.org/health/turtlefood.html for suggestions).

Females ultimately will grow larger than males (you\'re sure she\'s a female?).
  • Information