Fighting RES and treating wound

Discussions about turtles.
heatherpm

I have four Red Eared Sliders, all were bought together as babies. Darwin is 2\", Daisy and Spot are 3-4\" and Bertha is 4-5\". I understand from reading the posts that I should have a 150 gallon tank for them, but we currently have them in a 40 gallon tank. They have grown so quickly. My problem is that Bertha (a female) has been attacking Daisy (not sure of sex yet), probably because they do not have enough room. Daisy is not bleeding, but has a chunk taken out of her knee. They are all otherwise super healthy and have a great set-up.

Questions:
1. Will getting a bigger tank rectify the problem, or is it better to get a another tank and seperate them?

2. Do I need to treat Daisy for her wounds, if they are not open sores?

3. How big should I expect them to get? If I am purchasing a new tank, I might as well get one that will accomodate them when they get much larger.

Thanks.
sbgol80
Level 2
Level 2

I had this problem too. For me, getting a bigger tank did not help the biting, but it may for other turtles. I had two that had chunks taken out of their necks. I would take them out, let them dry completely, and apply neosporin to the wounds and let that soak in for about a half hour everyday. It seemed to work pretty quickly. Now there is a little white scar on both their necks but generally healed well.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

As for the wounds click on the button above for care sheets and then the link for first aid. It tells how to care for it. As for if they will be ok in a larger environment, only time will tell. You may have to seperate them. If you had 2 tank set-ups you might even see who will room together better. I think eventually you will have to have atleast 2 tanks or a pond. Turtles get from 7-10 inches in diameter. Females tend to be the larger of the species. It is recommended 10 gal for each inch of shell. Good luck!
  • Information