Update on Bender/Depth Perception?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
kb48542
Level 1
Level 1

We cleaned out Bender\'s tank today (it had a significant amount of algae in it so it\'s nice and fresh now). He is not doing the \"crawling\" thing with his two front legs (read my post from a few days ago) but now it seems that he has a problem when he\'s eating. I waved the container of food in front of the tank and he responded just like normal (swimming anxiously towards me). He would swim towards the pellets I dropped in the tank but would miss anytime he tried to snatch one. I feel like he\'s working too hard to try to get the food. I don\'t think he\'s blind, because he reacts to me and my fiance\'. How about his depth perception? Any suggestions on how to help him get some food in his tummy? Right as I speak he\'s in a plastic container by himself with some food pellets but he hasn\'t moved towards them. I think he\'s scared of us still. I read a few other posts with some suggestions. If any of you have some new ones that would be great. Thanks so much!

-Kelly and Chad, and Skidda and Bender
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I\'ve read that RES do not have good depth perception. They do have keen eyesight, especially for distance. Up close, they rely more on their sense of smell (extremely keen) to catch food. If you hold the pellet between your index finger and thumb slightly above the water in front of him, will he take it from you? Also try smelly food--sardines packed in water, small pieces of hard-boiled egg whites, boiled white chicken, etc., if he won\'t take the pellets. Once eating, however, switch to the pellets and offer the other foods as occasional treats.
kb48542
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Mariza! We\'ll definitely give it a try! :)
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

One more thing: if you\'re feeding him in a separate plastic container, it would be good if the container were a light color or one that contrasts with the food he\'s eating-- it would make it easier for your turtle to see the food.
angel204

Can a RES eat small pieces of canned pink salmon every once in a while or what?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Canned salmon contains a lot of salt, which is not really good for your turtle. Small pieces rinsed well are OK as very occasional treats, but a staple in your baby\'s diet should be a reputable turtle pellet formulated for young turtles.
  • Information