RES on 5 hr plane ride..

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
its me bunny

I\'m going on a plane ride from Orlando to Vermont which is probably going to be about 5 hours. I want to bring my RES up to my college but I dont know if thats a good idea or not because the pressure of the plane ride. Any advice?

thanks in advance =)
sbgol80
Level 2
Level 2

there was a post about this a while ago. I did this once for a 4 hour plane ride and mine died almost right away after landing. However, someone replied who also flew with their turtle and theirs was fine. I would see if you could ask a vet about it.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Make sure beforehand that the airline will allow you to take him with you. (I would not recommend allowing him to be placed in cargo--there is a good chance he will freeze to death, and the airlines are not responsible.)
And since it\'s winter and cold in Vermomt, you\'ll have to be extremely careful about keeping him out of drafts and the cold. If at all possible, it would be better to leave him at home in the care of a capable person than traveling with him, especially in winter.
DebDeb
Level 2
Level 2

Most airlines frown on traveling with a turtle, another thing to consider, you are coming from Florida, turtles of any size are legal there, how big is your turtle? They are illegal in some states. For instance, in OH they are not legal under 4 inches and in KY, I\'m told they are not legal at all. I was afraid to take my hatchling to a vet for fear of a fine, but I knew she needed treatment and I took her anyway, he didn\'t turn me in but I was told about it. A friend brought me my turtles on a plane (smuggled them, from Florida) and they lived, had I known about the potential problems, I may not have gotten them, but I know airlines won\'t let them if they know what you are carrying.
DebDeb
Level 2
Level 2

Also,

For the bins in aircraft, some are heated for transportation of other live animals (dogs/cats and such) but I would still be weary of shipping it cargo.
its me bunny

hey, thanks for everyone who replied!!

The turtle is about 3\" in diameter. (his picture is here: http://img8.photobucket.com/albums/v26/ ... /rocko.jpg ..he likes to climb the palm trees lol)I have no idea about the law in VT (I should be checking about the law in NY however, since my college is there)

but ... I was talking to a friend just and they said that only fish were allowed on our campus because reptiles can carry all sorts of bacteria and such. So I guess I dont really want to get in trouble. That pretty much determined my decision on leaving the turt with my mom and sis for another few months =(

ok, thanks again for replying everyone!
Abby
Level 2
Level 2

You made the best decision. A few months ago I had to travel extensively for work and wanted to take my little guy with me but the Vet said it was best to live it at home. Between the airlines restrictions and the risk factor of weather conditions the turtles are safer at home. By the way your turtle looks adorable resting on the palm tree. Mine does the same thing it\'s so cool. Be well all, Abby
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I do hope that you have a basking area and the proper lighting for your turtle. Please check out the setup page by clicking the button above. If this is one of those aptly named death bowls, your turtle is in danger. You must have a UVB light, basking light and area as well as a source of heat to keep the tank between 78-82 degrees. Your turtle is cute. I would hate to see it get sick.
  • Information