Lighting, basking temp?

Discussions about turtles.
Fillmore
Level 1
Level 1

I got a Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp (100 watts). It says it provides beneficial UVA rays, but my question is, is this enough UVA or should I provide another source? Also, I can\'t remember offhand what the backing temp should be.

Also, what bulb should I use (wattage) for night ligting?
DebDeb
Level 2
Level 2

You are also going to need the UVB light source. It\'s a light that provides both UVA and UVB but no heat, that\'s why you have the basking light. I believe the basking temp should be 88 degrees but you might want to wait for another reply to double check.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

Basking temp should be between 85 and 90 degrees F. Water temp should be between 75 and 80 degrees F.
Fillmore
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks guys.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The Zoo-Med bulb gives off no UVB rays, which, as was said, are necessary for the health of your turtle\'s shell (without them, he can\'t metabolize Vit D which he needs to absorb calcium). You need to get a UVB light in addition to the basking/heat light (make sure whatever you buy says it gives off UVB rays--just saying \"full spectrum\" isn\'t enough). As was said, basking area temp should be 85-90F, and you\'ll probably have to adjust the distance the light is from the basking area to get the correct temp. It would be good to have a thermometer to check the temp.

You don\'t need night lighting--turtles sleep in the dark. However, if the room your turtle is in is really cold, you might want to get a red heat lamp, which gives off only heat and can be kept on 24/7.
Fillmore
Level 1
Level 1

Last edited by Fillmore on Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

5% UVB is good. Optimal distance from the turtle is 6-8 inches for a regular UVB light.

For the red heat, I can\'t recommend wattage because I don\'t know how far away the bulb will be, if the tank is partially covered, etc. It would be good to go by the temp., not just by the wattage. (If the room the turtle is in is at least 75 degrees constantly, you can get away with the water heater and the basking and UVB lights). If not (many people keep the thermostat at around 68F), then the red heat would be good to use. The temp should dip a little at night (about 5 degrees), just at it gets cooler when the sun goes down. I use both an aquarium thermometer to check the water and a thermometer for the air. Neither is that expensive. I don\'t know if one is accurate for both water and air.

Not sure what you mean about the same set-up for hatchlings--temps? brand of lights?
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

I have separate thermometers for air and water. the water thermometer is a floater that the turtle puses around. I got one that she likes to play with that she can\'t break. The air type is a terrarium thermometer that i keep in the basking area to measure the temperature as close to the actual area that the turtle basks in as is possible. My turtle thinks that this thermometer is a toy so i have to watch it while I am taking the temp in the basking area. Our setup is designed to drop temp at night which makes the turtle very happy. You just have to get in a routine with the temp checking and once the levels are set you don\'t have top check as often.
Emily W
Level 1
Level 1

Is it a problem to keep the water warmer than that? I raised the temp with the turtle being sick, but the healthy one is loving the water heater. The vet said if she is only hanging out by it, then I should raise the temp a little. What is \"too hot\" for water?
  • Information