Food

Discussions about turtles.

Hi! I love the site it\'s been very helpful. But I need some info! I have been feeding my turtle just petstore food for about 3 years. He seems to be doing fine and growing nice he is so much bigger than when I first got him. My question is, Should I be feeding him anything else? I noticed the info on the care sheets, do you think it is wise to start feeding him new thing? P.S. I think he is a red earslider.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Variety is best (would you want to eat the same food every day?). For ideas, try http://www.turtlepuddle.org/health/turtlefood.html
ansjmom

Thanks! That site was very helpful.
chris jones
Level 2
Level 2

you can probably dig up some earth worms and drop them in the water. also you can try small crawdads (crayfish), you can catch them with a shrimp trap at most lakes. the best bait is canned cat food (some type of seafood flavor) with holes stabed in the can. if you catch any make sure they are very small (no bigger than a large feeder fish), use a pair of plyers to rip off there claws and legs (this does not hurt them),now just drop them in the water.

ps. you can usually catch them in streams or creeks with a net. put the net behind them in the water and then put something like a stick or your foot in front of them (they swim backwards) and they are not very active in the winter.
  • Information