HELP turtle\'s shell has fluid

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Herbertluver
Level 2
Level 2

I noticed today that my turtle felt kind of slimy, so I got a q tip and swabbed the top of his shell. Then I noticed that the q tip had pink fluid on it. Is he bleeding? Is this normal, please anyone give me advice. He has been recooperating from a respiratory infection.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Have you been keeping the water clean? Has he eaten anything pinkish/reddish? What do his shell and skin look like (any lesions, other abnormalities)?

The slime is often a layer of bacteria, often from water that\'s not the cleanest. If he\'s been treated by a vet for his RI, I\'d ask the vet about it. I would think that if it were blood, you\'d know it.
Herbertluver
Level 2
Level 2

First I would like to thank you for replying. His water is very clean I wash his tank and change his water everyday. He hasn\'t seen a vet for his respiratory infection since no one will take me to a vet that is an hour away. He hasn\'t eaten anything red or pinkish, but his shell is slightly turned up around the bridge. I don\'t know if he lacks calcium I feed him calcium rich foods every other day and he has a UVB light on him twelve hours a day.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You\'re sure the light is a UVB light? What brand is it?

How old/big is your turtle? If his shell is turning up (how much?), it sounds like it could be a lack of calcium, Vit D, or too much phosphorus in the diet (will inhibit the absorption of calcium). Or it could be a combination of the factors.

What calcium rich foods do you feed him?
Herbertluver
Level 2
Level 2

His UVB light is zoomed reptisun 5.0. I feed him kale, collard greens, turnip greens, chicken(cooked, repti sticks, and occasionally carrots. His shell is firm, but I would like to buy some kind of additive for his food or his shell that will increase the amount of calcium in his diet. Is there such a thing as too much calcium in a turtle\'s diet. Herbert is two and half years old. His shell is only slightly turned up around the bridges, slightly concave on the sides.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Good question on the excess calcium--I\'ve read opinions both ways, so I really don\'t know.

Maybe the upturn you first discribed isn\'t as much as I initially imagined. If your talking about the bridge area toward the front of the shell, isn\'t it common that it just slightly turns upward (as opposed to the bridge area nearer the rear)?
  • Information