cloudy tank

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
reesie
Level 1
Level 1

ok,,got the tank goin an the turtles in it,,, he\'s bein a little brat an not comin outa his corner yet,, but i guess he\'ll get used to all the space,,, what i need to ask someone is this,,, i got stuff in the tank to kill chlorine,,, BUT the water is a tad on the cloudy side,, not a dirty cloudy,, sorta reallllllllly pale milky,,,, dumb Q,,, do i need other chemicals in there?? if so,,, WHAT!!!!!! ty for everyones help,, ya\'ll have been great
sbgol80
Level 2
Level 2

This is normal for newer tanks. It has to do with some sort of levels of bacteria or somethin like that. I\'m not sure on the specifics. But after a water change or so, the cloudiness should go away.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I have run into this too. I just remove some of the water and add more in, until it is gone. Be sure to dechlorinate the water you are adding. I use a biowheel filter that usually keeps this from happening. As was stated earlier, it is a lack of a certain bacteria.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The beneficial bacteria is building up in the tank. Don\'t change the water completely each time, change about half. When you do clean the tank and filter, rinse the media in your filter in some of the original tank water and put it back in the filter. It will preserve some of the beneficial bacteria and help with the cloudiness.
Last edited by mariza on Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reesie
Level 1
Level 1

the cloudy is already startin to clear up some,,, got the *right* kinda heat lamp for him today,,,and some calcium powder where his shell was gettin a little soft on me where i didnt know any better,,, sheeesh who ever though an itty bitty turtle would be so much trouble,,,*grinz*

he\'s alot of fun to watch though,, me and hubby went out this evenin an when we got back,, we saw this lump on his basking ramp,, i was like *what the*,,cuz i\'ve never seen him bask on it before then it dawned on me,, :o),,, so i guess he\'s gettin used to everything,, thanks again for everyones help!!!!!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The heat lamp will not provide UVB rays (unless it\'s a combination UVB/UVA mercury vapor lamp, which is quite pricey), and you still need a UVB lamp for your turtle\'s shell (UVB rays are metabolized into Vit. D3 by your turtle and the Vit D3 is necessary for him to absorb the calcium in his diet). UVB lights are flourescent and don\'t give off heat, so you still need a heat/basking light. Brands to look for are Reptisun, Exo-terra, ESU UVB Coil Lamp. There are others too, but whichever you buy, make sure it says the lamp gives off UVB rays on the packaging; just saying \"full-spectrum\" isn\'t enough.
Last edited by mariza on Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reesie
Level 1
Level 1

i have a separate UV bulb,,, its a coil bulb,,, was EXPENSIVE too,,,, never thought i\'d be puttin out so much $$ on an itty bitty turtle!!!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

But he\'s worth it, isn\'t he? :)
reesie
Level 1
Level 1

yeah he\'s worth it,,, never thought at 39 years old i would have so much fun with a turtle!!!!
  • Information