Still not eating

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
DebDeb
Level 2
Level 2

I have a 4gm RES and she is sick. She has been to the vet and has a series of shots, num 3 tomorrow, but is still not eating. I got her on X-Mas eve and have yet to see her eat. I have tried the pellets for babys, lettuce, meal worms, frozen beef heart and even tried the cat food. I\'m really concerned. I am also putting the baby vitamin drops in the water for her but I think she would do much better if she would eat. Any other suggestions?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

It might just take some time.... There are food enhancers you can buy to spray on the food to make them stinky and attract them. You may want to ask the vet about it and how long it is ok for them to go without. Please keep us posted.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If your turtle\'s on medication (baytril?), in addition to being sick, the medication may be taking away the appetite. How long will the shots continue? Talking to the vet about the lack of eating would be a good idea.
DebDeb
Level 2
Level 2

I\'m not sure of the name of the antibiotic but she has 3 more shots with a period of 3 day between them. Number 4 is Thursday. The first day (Dec 30) I took her to the vet he gave her a vitamin shot as well and when I was there on Monday, I asked and they said to keep trying what I am and they didn\'t want to give her another, but that\'s all they said. I know I\'ve read that it takes a while for turtles to show improvement, but she still tilts in the water. She can only open 1 eye and doesn\'t like to be in the light. It seems that in the day she is in the water under the rock and at night she sleeps out of the water. I\'m still using the vitamin drops in the water. Also, what are some calcium rich foods that are safe to feed turtles? Thanks again for all your help, I really want to help her get better.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You could get some phosphorus-free calcium powder supplement, moisten the pellets, roll them in the powder and feed them to your turtle (or you could let them dry so the powder is absorbed/sticks to the pellets and feed them to your turtle). Other good sources of calcium include pieces of cuttlebone, and green leafy vegetables (not spinach, iceberg lettuce, cabbage or broccoli). Checking some of the other posts that deal with feeding/foods might be helpful.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

what is the temp in the water?
when my turtle was sick i got a heater and he started to eat much better as soon as i got the heater
DebDeb
Level 2
Level 2

I have the heater and since she was sick I raised it to 85, on her second to last shot she started moving around a lot more and the vet told me to try and force feed her baby food. I lowered the temp to 80 and she seems to do better and I give her baby food. She doesn\'t get much in her mouth but I keep trying and hoping that she\'ll get the taste of food and start eating the pellets. I try to keep one by her in the tank and everyonce and a while it\'ll be gone but I never know if she ate it or the others. I also keep ramaine lettuce in there for all of them and they eat on that. I think she is eating something cause she has been pooping a little. (She primarily stays in one corner of the tank, on the opposite side of the others). But she is finished with her shots.
  • Information