MEAN TURTLE-Please Help Me

Discussions about turtles.
Julie L
Level 1
Level 1

I inherited 2 Red-Eared Sliders 10 months ago. Well the other day, one was biting the other one\'s toe. When I looked more closely, I noticed that three of his little toe nails have been bitten off. One of his little toes was bleeding and everything! I separated the turtles, but I really don\'t like doing that. I feed them well and take good care of them! Is she crazy or something? Please help me! I don\'t know how to fix this. Thank you for your help!
Herbertluver
Level 2
Level 2

That sounds vicious. There are two options that I can think of, either seperate them indefintely and create two habitats or give on of them to another responsible knowledgeable turtle owner. I personally would not trust either of them to not hurt the other since there has already been blood shed.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

This is not unusual. First it is often an issue of territory. If the tank is too small they will fight for territory. The rule of thumb is 10 gal for each inch of shell on each turtle. So for example, if they are one inch in size then a 20 gal tank would be the minimum. If a large aquarium is too expensive some also use rubbermaid containers. Let us know if the area is big enough, maybe someone else can help. If the aggression continues, you may have no choice but to seperate them for their own good. Good luck!
sbgol80
Level 2
Level 2

this happend to me too. I had 3 small RES in a 55 gal. One was always biting the other turtle\'s neck and making them bleed. So now te biter had his own tank and the other two get along fine. I think it depends on the turt, but once the biting occurs, never put them back together
Julie L
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you all! I am going to keep them separated. It is nice to know that there is nothing wrong with her. The territory information is very helpful. I just got them a new 20 gallon tank, but the big one has grown out of it already. She was a little bigger than a quarter in March. Now she\'s about 5 inches. All she wants to do is eat! Thank you again!
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

If she is 5 inches in size then she needs a 50 gallon tank. Do Not let her eat all she wants. She will become unhealthy, slow down her meals and put her on an every other day feeding schedule now, let her free feed on on turnip green leaves, some of the proper lettuces (not iceberg) or collard green leaves. If we would eat like we are supposed to feed them we would all be very healthy. When she gets fed no more than the size of her head excluding the neck.
  • Information