3 RES ( Dude, Squirt, & Bruce) - Is Dude seriously ill?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
kylejay
Level 1
Level 1

We have 3 RES turtles approximately 7 - 10 months old. They live in a 10 gallon gallon tank with filter, heater, & UV light. Last night we noticed that \"Dude\" had managed to crawl half-way up the basking ramp so that the upper half of his body was out of water. He laid here motionless for quite some time with his head resting on the ramp (almost as if he had just completed a marathon). We also noticed that he would occasionally open and close his mouth. At this time the water temperature was approximately 75 degrees. We have since gradually increased the water temperature to 83 degrees. Last night we placed him on the basking ramp so that his underbody was in the water with the remaining part of his body, including his head, out of the water. Since the water temperature has been raised he does appear more alert and stronger however he still remains in the same place on the basking ramp that we placed him last night ( 20 hours)and continues, on occasion, to open and close mouth. Thoughts and advice would be greatful. Very Concerned! Thanks.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Sounds like he has a respiratory infection. There are many recent posts on this. Check any post about sick turtle and you will find it. Increasing the water temp is perfect. I would change the water every other day to rid the infection. If it appears the turtle is getting worse, take him immdeiately to a vet for antibiotic shots. Be sure he is out of drafts. It doesnt hurt to add liquid baby vitamins to the water to help increase is immunity to help fight it. Good luck! OH BY THE WAY...be sure to seperate Dude from the others to prevent infecting them. I would take them all out and clean the tank with bleach and water solution and all that was in it and then rinse very well. Return the others to the tank and seperate Dude.
Last edited by shelngav on Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kylejay
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for repling
Last edited by kylejay on Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

my turtle was sick
and i didn\'t have the money to take him to a vet
so i got a reptile hood it has 2 heat bulbs and 1 reg light bulb
so the water is at 80
i changed the water every day
i got dr. turtle surfur blocks and i took him out every day for one hour a day so he can completely dry off and i moved him away from all doors and windows he is completely better i think the water temp is the most important part
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Bonnie_lynn2001, this isnt always enough and the turtle dr isnt enough to rid an infection. Increasing the water temp helps the turtle\'s immunity and it must have been able to fight it off. It is good to raise the temp to 82-85 with the infection and change the water every other day, but if it doesnt improve, it is best to take it to the vet. That is what I did with mine. Babies are very suseptible to RI and often die, to me it wasnt worth it to self doctor and wait too long.
  • Information