Sick Slider

Discussions about turtles.
Emily W
Level 1
Level 1

I\'m a new turtle owner and one of my two turtles is sick. I have been improving their envirment as I learn reguarly since I got them in Sept.

He might have a respitory infection, but not sure. Jerry is breathing with his mouth open (coughs too) and I think he is pretty thin (comparing to other). He also floats when he swims and can\'t go under. He is active in the past two days (had been slugish). I just added an underwater heater. My book says they sink with lung infections tho. He won\'t eat, tried pelets and lettuce. I am very worried - any tips are GREATLY appreciated.

I\'m on my way to get a second light for the basking area, saw that heat (88 deg) can help a lung infection. Any thoughts?

Emily
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Taking him to the vet would be the best thing to do.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

Sounds as though your little friend may in fact be ill. The water temp needs to be between 75-80 degrees and the basking area between 85-90 degrees. Warmer when ill. Here is a link for an earlier chat on a sick turtle that may help you. If Mariza reads your post she may offer additional advice.
http://www.allturtles.com/msgboard/view ... picID=2644
Check out this post and make sure that you keep the area warm for your turtle. Good luck.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/vetlisting.htm for starters to find one near you. Good luck.
Last edited by mariza on Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emily W
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you all! I took him to the vet, not half as expensive as a neighbor made it sound (said hundreds - it was $30). She gave him a shot and wants to give him another tomorrow. I am feeding him every 2 hours with a syringe a liquid of water and can dog food. He is so tiny - weighed in at 7.4 grams.

She was concerned and said the open mouth breathing is usually the last stage, but the only other symptoms are not eating and floating. He is even more active now and they both seem to like the warmer temp (have it almost to 90). Hopefully he will pull through!!

Thanks so much for the quick replies and wonderful advice!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You should separate them--the one that\'s not sick may catch the RI from your sick one (RIs are contagious). Glad to hear you took the little one to the vet. Keep us posted on his progress.
Emily W
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks! I asked the vet about that earlier, she said to keep them together as long as the other one eats.

Also, they haven\'t been stacking in the past couple weeks - so good they are not too close. The small (healthy) one wants to stay under water all the time. I took both of them to the vet. She thought the heat thearapy would be best for both. Also said he probably was sick when I got him, just now showing signs -- so not to worry. Do you disagree? Always interested in second opinions. As I have learned since I bought them, they shouldn\'t have been sold this small (but I love how tiny they are -- hee hee!)

Will keep you posted. Thanks again!
Emily W
Level 1
Level 1

Also - they are both tiny (7.4 grams and 6.9 grams) in a 10 gallon tank, so they have some room to be away from each other.
DebDeb
Level 2
Level 2

I\'m going through the same thing. I have 3 tiny ones, two at 8gms and one at 4gms. The 4gms is my little sick one. She also floats and caughs. I took her to the vet as well and he have a series of 5 shots every three days. She is due for her 3rd tomorrow and seems to be moving around more but still doesn\'t eat. I posted on the turtle health board and recieved lots of helpful advice. I\'m using the vitiemn drops and upped the temperature. Good luck with your little one!
Emily W
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Deb. I saw your post & replies today -- didn\'t see the sick board until today -- probably because I was so worried, wasn\'t focusing. On my way to the vet for shot 2 now. He has been active and didn\'t show any symptoms until the other day, and remained active. I think he is \"sinking\" more -- he was stuck floating, but now part of his shell can go under water, but I know he wants to be further under. Reminds me of when I was a kid and wanted to dive under water in the pool like my big sister, but had a bubble straped on my back. Was frustrating!
Emily W
Level 1
Level 1

Happy to say that he is doing better. A lot less open mouth breathing. He just got his shot and will get a third one on Tuesday. Thanks again everyone for all your help & advice!
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I went through the same thing. One more recommendation my vet gave me. Change the water every other day. Or on the days it gets the shot. This will remove the infectious water and help prevent reinfection. It couldnt hurt once the shots are done to remove all from the tank and clean it with a bleach water solution and then rinsing it real well. That is what I did with mine. Glad to hear it is doing better, keep us posted. Im glad too to hear you took it to the vet. So many dont have the money to do it and all animals deserve the proper care. That is part of being a responsible pet owner. ;)
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Well, I\'m not a vet, but considering the fact that the \"healthy\" one has to drink the water that the sick one has been (and urinated/defecated and left other discharges)in, even if the water is changed daily, I would want to keep them separate. The little one could very well have been sick when you got it--with certain diseases, turtles can go a long time without showing symptoms and by the time they do, the disease/infection is often quite far advanced. That\'s why when a turtle does show signs of being ill, it\'s really important to get it to a vet right away.
Emily W
Level 1
Level 1

Okay, the vet still says okay to keep them together because the tank is pretty big compared to their tiny size, but I\'m with you guys - separating them, even if it means one gets a much smaller place in the mean time.

He is doing much better, he just got his 3rd shot about 20 minutes ago. He is now lopsided, looks like his right lung is better than his left, as he seems to only float on the left side. The vet is very optimistic (not so much on Saturday). Harder to get him to eat now, he knows what the syringe is and that I\'m going to sprit some liquid mush in his mouth when he opens his mouth. Not to mention, it looks a lot like the needle for his shots. He is breathing through his mouth less and doesn\'t have to open it as much. Good, except the feeding him part.

The other one is still looking very healthy. She likes to hang out by the water heater and is very strong. Had the vet check her twice. She eats everything in site and runs from me thinking she might get a shot! Hee hee! They must be talking about me. I\'m so mean... taking him for shots and force feeding... oh well, I\'m the turtle mom, not the friend. :) They both thank you all for your concern and ideas!

my moms turtle won\'t eat.what should i do?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You should start this question as another post so people will see it and respond. And it would be good if you described your mother\'s turtle\'s set-up, how old/big the turtle is, how long it hasn\'t been eating and any other symptoms it may have (more details are needed before people can try to help you).
Emily W
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you all again... As of yesterday, he has not been floating, he has been able to hang out under water in the bottom of the tank. He seems pretty happy, until he sees me coming. Took him for his 4th shot today and the vet agrees that he is much stronger and he even tried to bite her, getting fed up with the shots, hee hee! He even ate a turtle pellet today! Yesterday he wouldn\'t eat anything... I tried EVERYTHING in my pantry, we had a 2 hour stand off that he won. Next shot on Saturday. Thank you all again!!
  • Information