shedding

Discussions about turtles.
uu gwuee

what does it mean when my RES is shedding by its tail. i haven\'t fed it because it won\'t eat. so what does this all mean?
Emily W
Level 1
Level 1

I don\'t know anything about shedding, I\'m a new owner. But I would be concerned he won\'t eat. There is another very recent post with good info. I read that if they are new and not eating, try different things and get them eating, then you can go back to the pellets or whatever. My book said floating lettuce in the tank is good, but you would need to suplement (not nutritious enough) also mentioned cat or dog food, but reccomends dry so it won\'t make a mess. Also talks about earth worms and feeder fish (need to be the right size for the slider) and that they will eat lean finely cut beef and beef heart, cooked chicken (NOT RAW - salmonella). These meats don\'t have enough calcium, so don\'t keep them on only this, would need to be suplemented, but if it gets them eating.

Not eating could be a sign he/she is sick.

Good Luck!
Emily W
Level 1
Level 1

Good luck!
Last edited by Emily W on Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

As the turtle takes a growth spurt they will shed. If your turtle is new to you, it usually will take some time for it to adjust and may not eat at first. That is ok. Floating veggies is good as you wouldnt have to be there for it to eat and it may still be shy of people. You may notice it is not basking while you are around either. It just takes some time to adjust. There are sprays that are for food enhancement and makes it smelly. Pet stores have this in the same area the food is. You can spray reptomin pellets and put them in. Hope some of this helps you. Keep us posted. Unless you see other symptoms it is probably just a bit shy still.
  • Information