Male or female? And is he overweight?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Fillmore
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, here are pic of Fillmore. I am confused as to his/her sex because his nails are really long but his tail is short and fat.

Also, is he overweight? He\'s got some bulge there and he can\'t completely withdraw, so I\'m concerned. He seems heavy to pick up him up.

http://www.geocities.com/pachiz/Fillmore
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

It is too hard to tell by the photo. You cant tell the sex of hte turtle until it is around 5 inches (about 5 years old). The best way to tell is to look at the underneath of the shell at that time and see if it is convex or concave. If it curves inward, it is a male. If it curves out it is a female. As far as overweight, I cant tell from the pic. But it sounds like it may be. You should only be feeding the turtle as much as can fit in its head. If it is less than a year that would be everyday. If it is over a year that would be every other day. I keep veggies floating in the water to munch on. Mine\'s favorite is romaine lettuce. While they are young they should be eating a little protein, like earthworms, guppies, minnows, crickets etc. but only on a limited basis, not everyday all the time. Eventually they will change to being mostly vegetarians. The best thing to do is keep the diet varied so they dont become picky and only want one thing. By varying the diet it is better so they get varied nutrients. Also my vet suggested supplementing calcium every day until a year old. So I wet reptomin pellets and coat in calcium powder with Vit D3. Hope this helps.
Fillmore
Level 1
Level 1

Try the link now, it was the wrong photo. Thanks for the info.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

its a female
male nails are alot longer then that
and the tale is short too
so its a girl!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Can\'t tell from the photos about the sex, but a turtle that can\'t withdraw into his/her shell is overweight. Try cutting down on portion size (normal portion would be an amount that would fit into the head, not including the neck); over a year feed every other day. You can, however, give some veggies daily (vary them)--red leaf or Romaine lettuce, kale, chicory, collards, dandelions, carrots, squash, bell peppers, etc.--stay away from spinach, broccoli, iceberg lettuce, cabbage.
Fillmore
Level 1
Level 1

Yeah, she\'s definetely female. That\'s gonna be kinda weird. She\'s been a male for a few years, and now she\'s a she. Not only that, she\'s just about sexually mature!
irishturtle

what are reptomin pellets?
shelngav wrote:
It is too hard to tell by the photo. You cant tell the sex of hte turtle until it is around 5 inches (about 5 years old). The best way to tell is to look at the underneath of the shell at that time and see if it is convex or concave. If it curves inward, it is a male. If it curves out it is a female. As far as overweight, I cant tell from the pic. But it sounds like it may be. You should only be feeding the turtle as much as can fit in its head. If it is less than a year that would be everyday. If it is over a year that would be every other day. I keep veggies floating in the water to munch on. Mine\'s favorite is romaine lettuce. While they are young they should be eating a little protein, like earthworms, guppies, minnows, crickets etc. but only on a limited basis, not everyday all the time. Eventually they will change to being mostly vegetarians. The best thing to do is keep the diet varied so they dont become picky and only want one thing. By varying the diet it is better so they get varied nutrients. Also my vet suggested supplementing calcium every day until a year old. So I wet reptomin pellets and coat in calcium powder with Vit D3. Hope this helps.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

they are those small turtle food things..they look like tiny sticks and up till now i saw them coming in green and red color..i don\'t know if there are more colors..

btw the link doesn\'t seem to work it says the site needs to be activated by the owner first
  • Information