For Mariza

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I have noticed lately that my turtle is staying more on the bottom of the aquarium. He looks around, probably looking for food. He seems to only want to bask in the evening when I am about to turn off the lights. I hope he is getting enough basking time. Do you know why he might be doing this?
Last edited by shelngav on Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I honestly can\'t say. When you say \"lately,\" how long has he been doing this? When you say he\'s looking for food on the bottom, could something be trapped under any substrate (if you use it)? Do you turn the lights on and off the same time each day, or has the scheduled been changed a little because of the holidays? If he\'s otherwise active and eating and seems healthy, I\'d just watch him to see if he doesn\'t start to display/have any other behavior/symptoms.

BTW, when do you feed him? Do you give him any snacks in the early evening? How much basking time does he get?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Ok, unfortunately I have moved him to the dining room due to the Christmas tree (which we got rid of today) and so I sometimes forget and it is late when the light goes off. I usually give about 12 hours for basking. He has been doing this for maybe 3 weeks. I do not have subtrate, river rocks only. I usually feed him in the morning and again in the evening before I turn off the lights. He seems healthy otherwise. He use to swim alot only and now he does more walking around on the bottom of the aquarium. He has been digging some too. Acts like he is looking for food. When I see that I try to be sure there is some veggies for him in the tank. I guess I wont worry unless I see something more. I just worry that he waits so late to bask. Sometimes I will leave it on longer because he is basking and I dont want to interrupt it. Our schedules will be more settled starting Monday with me back to school and my husband off vacation. I think I will just turn it off at the exact times and not worry if he is basking or not and maybe he will adjust. Thanks!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I have both my UVB light and basking light on timers, which gives my turtle a set schedule (and makes life easier for me). Also, that way I don\'t feel guilty turning out the light in the evening if he is basking (rare, but he sometimes does it)--the timer does it.

I find that my turtle wants to bask within a fairly short time of eating (needs the warmth to help digest his food). Feeding him in the morning gives him the whole day to do so, and he\'s not going to sleep with a lot of undigested food in his stomach (bad for humans, too :) )
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks that was very helpful. Hadn\'t thought of the digesting of the food needing warmth. I will change this. Also I had thought of getting a timer for a while and I guess this really makes my mind up for doing so. ;)
  • Information