need advice on feeding

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
ticiabug
Level 1
Level 1

I am a turtle newbie. Over a week ago I bought two RES babies and I can\'t get them to eat anything! The water temp stays between 76 and 80 degrees F. Is that warm enough to stimulate appetite? Also, they bask almost all day long, and dont swim in the water much at all. Is that normal? If anyone can give me some advice or suggestions on how i can get these babies to eat i would appreciate it. I dont want them to get sick from not eating.
Herbertluver
Level 2
Level 2

I would keep the water between 80 and 84 degrees, it will help them digest better. What exactly have you been offering them? The best thing I could suggest would be earthworms chopped up or crickets. Roll their food in calcium powder about once a week, and be sure to use calcium powder that contains no phosphorus.
ticiabug
Level 1
Level 1

This may sound like a dumb question, but do I offer the crickets dead or alive? I have been trying to feed them zoomed \"dry\" food and dried shrimp treats, but they wont eat it. And when i feed them earthworms, do i put it in the water? Wont the calcium powder wash off? Thanks for any more help u can offer me.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

The calcium sticks to the reptomin pellets I give my turtle so I should stick. They have to eat in the water. Do up the temp for the little ones as recommended. You may need to watch that they dont have respiratory infections. If you notice them opening their mouths often like a yawn, or any fluid from the nose or mouth that may be the problem. I know not eating and basking a lot can be symptoms of resp. infec. Hopefully it is just that the temp is too low for them. You can buy a food enhancer, which is a smelly spray for the food to increase the appetite. Also, depending on just how young they are they may still be feeding off their yolk sac, as hatchlings do. If you are really concerned you may try, only as a temp measure, cat food. It is stinky. But once they begin to eat, dont keep them on this. Hope this helps.
  • Information