PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

My sisters turtle is very sick, it is not swimming it is almost aways on his rock and makes a wierd popping noise! he is seperated from the others. head sticking out real far. It will just sit there for a long time and then make the popping noise.
I don\'t know what to do! I need help fast! My parents don\'t have the money for a vet! I am worried! I fear for his life!
teana20
Level 1
Level 1

You should call a pet store near you and speak to the reptile section, i\'m sure they would be able to offer you some information.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Asking questions of petstore employees, is usually not a good idea. Most of them have no clue and have given bad advice. First, what other symptoms? Does it want to bask all the time, yawning, swimming leaning to one side, less appetite? You seperating it is the first important thing. It may be having a hard time breathing. The popping noise you hear may be mucus in it\'s lungs as it breathes. This time of year is bad for respiratory infections. There have been a lot of posts about how to care for them in this situation. If you can not take the turtle to the vet and the symptoms sound like it may be a resp. infec. then do the following....be sure the temp is 82-85 in the tank and the basking is about 10 degrees warmer. Be sure there are no drafts. Change the water every other day to rid infection and add baby liquid vitamins to the water. Keep an eye out for any changes in behavior. Let us know if there is any more info you can give us.
Last edited by shelngav on Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information