Filter setup... what do you recommend?

Discussions about turtles.
keithx
Level 1
Level 1

jack is outgrowing the small 10 gallon tank i setup for him when he was a baby... so i am going to buy him a bigger tank... maybe 30... we are thinking about getting another turtle...

so... what filters do you guys recommend?
Herbertluver
Level 2
Level 2

Fluval filters I here are excellent, but expensive. If your planning on getting a second turtle I would make that 30 gallon tank into a 55 gallon tank(which is suitable for one adult male slider). A good rule of thumb when purchasing filters is to buy a filter that is used for tanks twice(or more) as large as the one you own.
Fillmore
Level 1
Level 1

Fluvals suck, I recently upgraded to a 3Plus and it still sucks. Now I spent all this money on a filter and I have to get a new one. At the Arts of Nature website (www.artsofnature.com) they use and recommend the Duetto, but they don\'t have anything bigger than 30 gal. I\'m going to ask them when they are open if they have or can get one for 60 gal or more. If not, I am going to try the Tetra Whisper Power Filter. Alot of people use 2 filters cause one just isn\'t good enough.

You will need eventually need a 50-60 gal for a single adult RES so getting it now just saves more purchases. I might also recommend getting a turtle of roughly the same age as your current one, and in that case you will need an even bigger tank. I just bought a 50 gallon pond to put my adult RES in. You can also try a tupperware container or kiddie pool, but I like the depth of the pond better. They are all cheaper than glass aquariums and work just as well.
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

Fillmore wrote:
At the Arts of Nature website (www.artsofnature.com) they use and recommend the Duetto, but they don\'t have anything bigger than 30 gal. I\'m going to ask them when they are open if they have or can get one for 60 gal or more..
I had a Duetto and hated it...Just to let you know I have been told by many turtle keepers that the Duetto is just not made for turtle tanks, it can\'t handle the amount of waste they produce and I found that to be true. I have heard many good things about Fluval filters, but only the canister type. I was thinking of getting one myself since I don\'t think my Rio\'s are doing quite the job I would like them to.

Also you can find a great assortment of filters at www.Drsfostersmith.com for a reasonable price and there are several other online sources that are even cheaper. I would not contribute to Arts of Nature (I purchased from them and they seem to be a very unreliable place), not to mention I don\'t think you will ever get in touch with a soul there, by phone or email! I have tried! Just my two cents!
Herbertluver
Level 2
Level 2

Another brand that I failed to mention is filstar. Its an excellent filter that is reasonably priced.
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

Herbertluver wrote:
Another brand that I failed to mention is filstar. Its an excellent filter that is reasonably priced.
Aha! I could not remember that one when I was responding, I have heard really good things about that one too. I think the XP3, if that is the correct number, I hear good things about that one too.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

The key I think is to be sure the filter will be bigger than what it is recommended for. I use a biowheel, which keeps the beneficial bacteria intact for water changes. I had a penguin mini for my 10 gal which was suppose to handle up to a 30 gal. I quite disagree, even with my once a week aquarium cleanings. So I upgraded to a filter that can handle up to 70 gal. It has stayed clean for much longer and works wonderfully. Marineland makes the biowheel filters. It is a 3 stage filter, which after a great deal of research I found was the best type of filtration and very important. The biowheel changes the nitrites from waste into nitrates and makes the water better for the turtle.
sbgol80
Level 2
Level 2

Everytime I ask someone this question, they recommend Fluval. I cannot stand Fluval. Way too expensive and I have never had any luck with them. I use a filter called Pondmaster. They are very easy to clean, they keep the water clear, and are just better than anything I\'ve seen in my opinion. I have one in my 55 gal and 20 gal and it works great. It\'s submersible and has a pretty strong output...but at home depot, they have pieces you can fit on the output valve to control direction of flow so it\'s not pushinh your turts clear across the tank.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

As was said, make sure any filter you get is rated for 2-3 times the capacity of your tank. http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Articl ... ration.htm may give you some info to help you in your decision.
Last edited by mariza on Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris jones
Level 2
Level 2

i would recomend the sand shark made by penn plax. i have two of them in my 50 gallon aquarium. you would probably only need one for a 30 gallon aquarium. you can pick them up at petsmart for about $30. not very many places cary them so i woudlnt suggest buying one unles the store that carys them is close.
i have to drive about 10 miles away to get the refill cartridges and there is a pet store less than 2 miles away. if you have any questions just ask me.
OkinawaMel
Level 1
Level 1

I have 4 different filter. 2 Penguin w/ biowheels that are meant for 20-30 gallons and 2 mini\'s that sit on the bottom of the tank. They seem to work farely well. I still clean once a week but I have fish and turts together, so it makes for quite the mess.

Good luck!

I had the Fluval with the black sponge that my RES loved when he was younger. Now, I switched to the ZooMed MicroClean 316 Multifunction Internal Filter. It costs about $30 and so far has done a good job on my 7 year old RES. It\'s been three weeks and I haven\'t had to clean it. I usually filter out the water using the large tube connected to the faucet about every two weeks and so far I haven\'t had to do that.
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

I have a FLUVAL2 PLUS AND I plan to get a Fluval 4 plus soon. I have found that these types of filters work great and they are also very quite which is a great feature = ). You can find these filters for a lot cheaper on line then you can in the store. With these filters you can bye the regular pads plus polyester ones and carbon they help keep your water extra clean and turtle friendly = ). Your turtle might also enjoy hanging onto these filters which is fun to watch.
Last edited by Lilypad on Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kantele
Level 2
Level 2

I have the ZooMed for turtles and works for up to 40 gal only, but i have a 20 gal tank with two baby RES. They seem happy with the filter.
  • Information