RES has lump on side of head

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
TurtleMama
Level 2
Level 2

A couple of days ago, I noticed that \'Little Guy\" had a lump on the side of his head, just under the red streak. It seemed to appear over night so I thought he might have something stuck in his mouth. There is nothing in his tank that he could get in his mouth except maybe, a chunk of cuttlebone. He is swimming and eating as usual. Any ideas?
Herbertluver
Level 2
Level 2

More than likely it is an ear abscess and it needs to be drained by a vet. If you go to austin\'s turtle page you\'ll find information about ear abscesses.
TurtleMama
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for the info. I checked Austin\'s Turtle Page and the pic of the ear absess looks the same. Also got the name of a vet and will get \'Little Guy\' in to see him!
Shannen

Herbertluver wrote:
More than likely it is an ear abscess and it needs to be drained by a vet. If you go to austin\'s turtle page you\'ll find information about ear abscesses.
TurtleMama
Level 2
Level 2

Why did you repeat Herbertluver\'s response to my question? Am I missing something?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Let us know how this turns out!
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

Yes your turt has an ear infection and should be taken to a vet. Aturtles ear does not drain fluid like ours do and it solidifies with no place to go causing the lump. My little guy had the same problem w/ both ears and I took him to a vet to have it removed. He told me some people remove it themselves but it looks to painful for me to do it myself. He says that removing the puss doesn\'t hurt them but I just wouldn\'t do it myself. When the lump is removed you have to keep them seperated from the other turts and keep them in shallow water <keep the wound dry, except when feeding> to avoid bacteria from getting in the opening. Also keep its tank very, very clean!! Your vet will also perscribe antibodies for your turt as a precaution. Good Luck!!

How do you get rid of the bump yourself? Could someone please walk me through it?

Heather wrote:
Yes your turt has an ear infection and should be taken to a vet. Aturtles ear does not drain fluid like ours do and it solidifies with no place to go causing the lump. My little guy had the same problem w/ both ears and I took him to a vet to have it removed. He told me some people remove it themselves but it looks to painful for me to do it myself. He says that removing the puss doesn\'t hurt them but I just wouldn\'t do it myself. When the lump is removed you have to keep them seperated from the other turts and keep them in shallow water <keep the wound dry, except when feeding> to avoid bacteria from getting in the opening. Also keep its tank very, very clean!! Your vet will also perscribe antibodies for your turt as a precaution. Good Luck!!

If some could, please email to [email protected] or please IM me at Sunnykaku on AIM or MSN Messenger [email protected]. I would greatly appreciate it, since I dont oftenly check this site. Just happened to find it

schaudhr wrote:7

How do you get rid of the bump yourself? Could someone please walk me through it?

Heather wrote:
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You should bring him to a herp vet and have it done properly. He will need antibiotics to rid himself of the infection.
  • Information