Boy or Girl?

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.

To tell apart male and female, is it like birds? The Brighter color is a boy and lighter is a girl??? My lil sister has one and he\'s dieing, but mine is way bigger and I think it\'s eather that she is a girl, or because he is sick is why he\'s not as big as her, not that he\'s a boy.
hbturtlesaver

BigAliGurl wrote:
To tell apart male and female, is it like birds? The Brighter color is a boy and lighter is a girl??? My lil sister has one and he\'s dieing, but mine is way bigger and I think it\'s eather that she is a girl, or because he is sick is why he\'s not as big as her, not that he\'s a boy.
With sea turtles, only males have a tail and females don\'t. I\'m not sure if this applies to land turtles, but I believe it does.
WlfKnigt
Level 2
Level 2

To tell if a turtle is a boy or girl you have to look at it\'s tail. Look for the opening on the bottem of the tail. I belive if it\'s opening is right next to it\'s shell it\'s a girl. Male have it farther down the tail. I\'m not sure if my way was right. It might be the other way around :P

thank you i\'ll have to look. :( :eyes ???
spraggsbraydon2
Level 3
Level 3

a males vent is farther down than a females
jbird507
Level 3
Level 3

[quote]spraggsbraydon2 wrote:
a males vent is farther down than a female
whats a vent?Im confused from my book that i read
GlennThiltgen
Level 3
Level 3

It also depends on the age of the turtle I have heard that baby turtle hatchlings are almost impossible to tell male from female until they reach a more mature age. I have two turtles a Red Ear Slider and a Eastern Painted Turtle. They are both a couple weeks old. Captive bred.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Does anybody know how to tell a 2 inch snapping turtle\'s gender?
Willie
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

hbturtlesaver,
I don\'t think that aplies to land turtles, that the females don\'t have tails, I\'ve never seen a turtle without a tail, everything else was correct.
Willie

BigAliGurl wrote:
does that mean that if a turtle has orange dots its a boy and if it has yellow or no dots its a girl
Grandtrain

I have two hatchlings. One is growing a bit faster than the other. Does that mean that it is a girl?
chris jones
Level 2
Level 2

you can look at the bottom of the shell if it is female the bottom should be pretty flat. if it is male the bottom should be concave.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

You CAN\'T tell weather or not its a male or female by that way when they\'re hatchlings. You have to wait a while untill they grow a little to be sure about your turtles sex.
Willie
Teeny Turtle
Level 1
Level 1

You can onnly tell if it is a boy or girl if it is 4 inches or bigger. A female has a flat stumach/bottom of the shell and a Male has a dip. Male have much longer claws then females.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

For RES, you should be able to tell when they`re around 4 inches--the males will grow long front claws and will have broad, thick tails with the vent closer to the tip. Females will have shorter front claws and shorter, thinner tails with the vent closer to the shell.

But why is the little turtle in the initial post dying? Why don`t you bring it to a vet or at least try to find out what`s wrong and treat it if it`s treatable?
  • Information