Cleaning the tank

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Herbertluver
Level 2
Level 2

I clean my ten gallon tank daily since I have yet to purchase a filter. The only problem is that emptying out the water and carrying the tank is too hard on my back, I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions for making this task easier. I have heard of the python siphoning device but I am not sure how it works or where to buy it.
moxie
Level 2
Level 2

You can use any type of hose to syphon out the water. I have a 75 Gal. tank and I attach a hose to my shower head. I turn on the water and fill the hose with water. Then I disconnect the hose from the shower head and I get the syphon going into my tub & down the drain. With your 10 Gal. it should be real easy to syphon 1/2 the water into a bucket for ease in carrying. They sell little gravel vacuums in Pet Co or Pet Smart. They work great to syphon the water. I would get a filter if I were you. You can go longer without changing the water. I don\'t think it is too good for the turtles to be going through constant water changes. Are you using Repti-Safe? It removes and chlorine from the water. Also, you have to have the water at the proper temperature. 70 - 80.

Hope this helps you out.

Cheers, MOXIE
Herbertluver
Level 2
Level 2

I have a water heater that heats the water before I put herbert in the water. I am not using reptisafe, but I do have a water filter on my sink that I use. I know it probably doesn\'t remove all if any chlorine, but I plan on buying reptisafe soon. Thanks for the advice.I was wondering does the siphoning device require a person to suck the other end of the tube, thats what a person at petsmart told me.
Fillmore
Level 1
Level 1

I wouldn\'t want to suck up turtle water with my mouth either...yuck!
Last edited by Fillmore on Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
echo444
Level 2
Level 2

I\'ll tell you the easiest way to use the siphon hose...at least for me. My mom taught me how to use it and it\'s a lifesaver!

First, you need to hold your finger on the end of the long tube so that the water won\'t drain out all over the place. Next, put the large tube part at the top of the hose in the water and let it fill up. Then, hold the large part up in the air (I have to hold it up high) and let ALL of the air bubbles go up the long tube. Then put the large end of the tube in the water again (still holding your finger on the other end). Let it completely fill up with water, and no bubbles. Leave the large end in the water and let go of the small end (making sure that you have a bucket or something underneath). My turtle\'s tank is in front of the window, so I stick the end of the siphon hose out the window to drain on the ground. That way I don\'t have to carry buckets full of dirty water to dump them out.

I hope this helps. It may sound hard reading it, but it works great.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Depending on how big your tank is...I have a 50 gal tank now and the siphon is useless. I have changed to using a wet/dry vac. I remove my turtle of course before hand. Then after all the water is gone I scrub down the tank. I refill it with a garden hose most of the way and then add water I have heated on the stove. This, I found, is much easier on my back than hauling buckets of water from the bath.

hey hey, i was doing a search for the \"flow n go\" when your forum came up. The flow n go website is nonexistant to say the least, but just an FYI to everyone out there, the flow n go was meant for gasoline, if you do use your flow n go, clean it well b4 using it for the turtle. lol, common sense. but maybe someone would get crafty enough to make a valve on the bottom of the tank? i have a 35gal brakish fish tank that my dad cut a hole in the bottom corner and put in a valve. it\'s on the back, it\'s small, has a mesh over the opening (fishy/turtle safe) and we only drain it down to about a 40% level. plus the bajillion little fish we have, learned to swim to the other side of the tank when we\'re cleaning it. i\'m sure if my A.D.H.D. fish can figure this out, then turtle man can. well, a turtle might be easier to just take out of the tank, but these little fish arent. just an idea for ya.

cut hole in glass, insert small valve, small screen on inside, lots of silicone, short hose (long enough to reach out your window or to your bucket) that can be disconnected... poof !! you got it, even if your tank is on the ground.. it will still drain. like a cooler filled with ice water !!!! (just poopy turtle/fishy water) but there\'s hand pumping, no gettin water close to the mouth or trying mom\'s secret syphon dance.

good luck to all...
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

wow too many people answered..thanx all for ur help:)

i\'m facing ur problems too..i have a small tank with no filter and sometimes i\'m too lazy to change the water twice a day..the difference is that i have a rubbermaid so it\'s not that heavy..and i don\'t prefer using any of those emptying devices only for one thing is that when i was cleaning it once i felt something slimy inside and it was so nasty so i prefer taking the hole tank with me now, empty the water, rinse it very well with a brush, and then filling it up again
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

That item at the top is made for siphoning water with a drill, (electric or battery operated), I just now thought of it, I have one at work, you hook up one end to a hose (female side) going to the yard or sink, the other end (also female end) will be a cut piece, just big enough to go into the tank, it does work, I have tried it, and even though it was made for water applications, I would still wash it, maybe run some soapy water through it and then some clear water until all the soap comes out.

Here is the link to that page: http://hdsupply.crossmediaservices.com/ ... AIN&rapid=

Thanks visitor dude for reminding me of that pump:D
savedbyhzgrace30
Level 1
Level 1

i also have alot of water in my tank (55 gal.) i use a wet-dry shop vac to remove the water
you can also use the hose off your vaccume, put the hose from the vac. into the syphon hose, AS SOON as the water reaches the tip of the vac. hose, pull the syphon hose out ( the vac hose has to be lower than the tank though.) i dont recommend syphoning by mouth. my husband accendently swallowed some water and got very sick by doing it
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

no not by mouth i would never do it even if the water turned black:p

what do u mean by the female side stray??
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

That is what they refer to the side of the hose that connects to the water outlet, it is not meant as an insult to women, that is just what it is called, sorry if I angered any ladies by that term.
http://hdsupply.com/prmw95/mwus/jsp/pro ... ext=150434
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

noo it\'s ok:) i was just wondering
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Whew! (wipes forehead):D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

LOL..girl\'s power..MUAHAHAHAHA
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Hey, women have all my respect, girl power, I don\'t know about that:D, well Ok, if it weren\'t for girls, there wouldn\'t be very many boys:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yes yes Image
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

it kinda goes both ways if you think about it.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Shhhh, don\'t make her mad:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

DON\'T Image
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

that\'s an ugly smiley! is it you? lol!! j/k
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

no..girls are made of sugar:D
but i liked that one..he\'s not that ugly..i can see the nerves in his eyes!! lol
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I think that smilie is a frownie:D
  • Information