if a RES dies from an infection (like respitory) when is it

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

i think my res is gonna die
i am pretty sure he has a res. infection, but i love turtles so i will get another is it safe to get one right away

Well it depends if you\'re ready to get another RES or not.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

i am ready i am just afraid the infection is contagious
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

First, you need to know a RES is a commitment, financially as well. If you think your RES has an infection, you should take it to the vet ASAP. I had to do that with mine. They are not like goldfish and can live 30-50 years. So they are not just disposable. If you cant care for the one you have you may want to think about that before getting another. However, respiratory infections are very contagious. If your turtle dies and you do get another, you must take everything out of the tank and clean it with bleach and water. Then it must be rinsed very, very thoroughly. When you add water to the tank again be sure to add a dechlorinator to the water to be sure it neutralizes the bleach if any is left. My RES had an infection, and I took him to the vet. He got a series of 5 shots every other day. I had to change the tank every other day as well so as not to reinfect him. Turn the water temp up to about 85, no more. Then be sure there are no drafts either. But if you are able, I highly recommend finding a vet that works with reptiles and taking the turtle in right away.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

i do under stand they r a major commiment
i have spent so much money on the turtle i have now so i have all the supplies
and believe me i don\'t want him to die i love him very much
i just wanted to know if it was safe to get another
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Just curious, but how long have you had the RES that\'s sick? If you\'ve had him for some time and he got a respiratory infection maybe the conditions you had him living in weren\'t the best. It would be better to concentrate on getting the RES you have now well rather than already thinking about a replacement. It would also be good to think about what possibly could have caused the respiratory infection and change your husbandry accordingly. And disinfection is a must for the tank and its contents, as was noted above.
Last edited by mariza on Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

i got my res in the begining of oct.
the only thing i can think of is the area he was in
he was kind of near a door so i figured the was the draft
so i did move him but he really isn\'t acting really sick he does have that white stuff coming out of his mouth
he isn\'t basking any more then he usually does
he is still eating and swimming around
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If he\'s still eating and active, make the water temp warmer (83-85F) with a submersible water heater. Keep the basking area at about 92F. Keep him out of drafts/breezes. Adding a little liquid vitamins to the water when you feed him (in a separate container)for extra nourishment (as was mentioned in another post) would also be good.
  • Information