Turtles And Veggies

Discussions about turtles.

I have a RES and i would just like to know if you give a RES veggies do you have to give it to them in their water or land setup?
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

i once read u must feed ur res food only in water that is the only way they eat
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

They have to have water to eat. I float veggies, especially romaine lettuce, which mine loves. Do not give iceberg lettuce, spinach, broccoli or bananas. These deplete their vitamin A. Just experiment with veggies and see what your turtle likes. Mine is pretty picky. Carrots are very good for them, though I cant get mine to eat them.
Herbertluver
Level 2
Level 2

Here are a few calcium rich vegetables you might consider, and remember variety keeps your RES interested
-Kale,Kelp,mustard greens, turnip greens, collard greens, water cress,and chicory.

Thanks Yall,I\'ll try all of your ideas. By the way where can you find feeder fish?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Petstores, feeder fish are fish that eat from the bottom of the tank. You will find them at the bottom scavenging. I dont recommend giving too many of these as they are fatty. I get mine from Petsmart every 2 to 3 months and I usually get 3 at a time.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If you must give your turtle live food (it is not necessary), guppies and minnows are better than goldfish. Goldfish are fatty, more prone to contain parasites, and contain a substance that breaks down Vit. B. Be aware that with all live food there is a chance that they contain parasites.

Dandelions are also a good source of calcium. Spinach and related veggies contain oxalates, which block the absorption of calcium. Bananas are high in phosphorus, too much of which will also prevent calcium from being absorbed.

Shelngav, if your turtle won\'t eat carrots, have you tried bits of red bell pepper or lightly steamed pumpkin or squash? My turtle loves these veggies, and the latter two contain beta carotene like carrots, which your turtle can convert into Vit. A without you having to worry about overdosing on it.

What are examples of feeder fish like what kind or names of the feeder fish?

shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

mariza wrote:
If you must give your turtle live food (it is not necessary), guppies and minnows are better than goldfish. Goldfish are fatty, more prone to contain parasites, and contain a substance that breaks down Vit. B. Be aware that with all live food there is a chance that they contain parasites.

Dandelions are also a good source of calcium. Spinach and related veggies contain oxalates, which block the absorption of calcium. Bananas are high in phosphorus, too much of which will also prevent calcium from being absorbed.

Shelngav, if your turtle won\'t eat carrots, have you tried bits of red bell pepper or lightly steamed pumpkin or squash? My turtle loves these veggies, and the latter two contain beta carotene like carrots, which your turtle can convert into Vit. A without you having to worry about overdosing on it.
Thanks Mariza, I will try the pumpkin. He is really picky and I have tried bell pepper. He is changing his taste a bit I think so I will try bellpepper again. I have given green squash. It is hard to buy much though as he is still small and it goes bad.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

[email protected] wrote:
Mariza gave you examples...minnows and guppies.
DebDeb
Level 2
Level 2

My Vet strongly recommended to NOT feed them goldfish. If you want than make sure it\'s a separate tank. He said they release something that causes the turtles to get sick.
Trinny
Level 1
Level 1

Hey I just read that you can give them bananas
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Regarding goldfish--they contain thiaminase, a substance that breaks down Vit B. Overfeeding of goldfish can cause a Vit. B deficiency which can lead to neurological problems and if not corrected is fatal. Besides, goldfish are fatty and more prone to having parasites, as was stated.

Regarding bananas--they have high levels of phosphorus, which, if feed too often, can work against the absorption of calcium. They are OK as a VERY occasional treat in a well balanced diet, and most turtles like them (even my turtle, who doesn\'t like fruit except for cantalope sometimes, will eat the occasional sliver of banana).

I know what you mean about having food go bad, Shelngav. I have wasted so much money buying veggies that my turtle only eats a little of (I try not to feed him the same things each day). I find myself eating some of it just so it doesn\'t get thrown out completely.
  • Information