do RES get constipated

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

I am not sure if my RES is constipated
since i had him i only seen him poop a few times but i haven\'t seen him go in like 2-3 weeks
Herbertluver
Level 2
Level 2

My slider had gone about a week before he passed a bowel. Usually overfeeding can cause excessive wastes so I will assume that the same applies when a turtle is underfed. What do you feed him? Maybe you should incorporate some vegetables rich in fiber. Chicory is high in fiber among other beneficial nutrients.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I didnt see mine go for a long time. It usually lands in the rocks below and it more difficult to see. Also, as gross as it may sound. Turtles will eat their poop too, so even if he goes you may not see it if he is eating it. As long as he appears to be doing ok, I wouldn\'t worry. One thing though, I hope you do not have subtrate in the bottom. That is the small rock pieces in fish aquariums. The turtles sometimes will eat it and it can get impacted and obstruct the bowel. If you have this I would remove it right away and put river rock in that is atleast the size of your turtles head so he cant swallow it.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

i did notice my res eating pieces of the gravel b4
last nite i changed the water b cuz he is sick i made it warmer which i read placing them in warmer water will hepl them if they r constipated and he did go after all
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Be sure to remove the gravel right away, especially if it is eating it.
  • Information