I have noticed some white(kinda snottie looking) stuff (mayb

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

I have had my res for bout 3 months
he has started to shed and its worring me bcuz its been happenin for a few weeks now and now i noticed everyday he has this white skin or something coming from his mouth.
when i give him a pellot he opens his mouth and it comes off but every day it is there what is it??
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

It is hard to say without seeing the turtle. Eveyone\'s description is different. Other than shedding, there is a possibility it is mucus. Does the turtle have any other behaviors that seem out of the ordinary? Does it tip to one side when swimming? Has it\'s appetite lessened? Does it seem to stay out of the water more than usual? Does it open its mouth a lot when out of the water? If so, it may have a respiratory infection. If not, it may just be shedding. Mariza, one of the members here who seems to know a great deal about turtles has told me that too much shedding could be a high amonia level. You may want to get a kit and check it. I just bought an indicator that sticks to the side of the aquarium. How much has your turtle grown recently. You may be feeding it too much and it is growing too rapidly. You should only feed it enough to fit in it\'s head, daily. Often people over feed their turtles, especially if you follow the directions on the containers.
bphillips

shelngav wrote:
It is hard to say without seeing the turtle. Eveyone\'s description is different. Other than shedding, there is a possibility it is mucus. Does the turtle have any other behaviors that seem out of the ordinary? Does it tip to one side when swimming? Has it\'s appetite lessened? Does it seem to stay out of the water more than usual? Does it open its mouth a lot when out of the water? If so, it may have a respiratory infection. If not, it may just be shedding. Mariza, one of the members here who seems to know a great deal about turtles has told me that too much shedding could be a high amonia level. You may want to get a kit and check it. I just bought an indicator that sticks to the side of the aquarium. How much has your turtle grown recently. You may be feeding it too much and it is growing too rapidly. You should only feed it enough to fit in it\'s head, daily. Often people over feed their turtles, especially if you follow the directions on the containers.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

T
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information