worms

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

I was cleaning my turtles tank and as I refilled it with water I noticed these little red worms. I don\'t know what kind of worms they are or where they came from but can worms harm turtles. I removed the worms I saw but there could be some I missed. Please let me know.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

i don\'t know what the worms came from but one time in my res tank i was noticing little snail developin the only thing i can think where they came from was a live plant i got for the turtle
did u get any live food or plants lately
and regardless i would try to get all the worms out
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I am not sure what parasites look like, but you may want to call a vet that works with reptiles and make sure it is not parasites. If you have had an aquatic plant in there recently it may be from that, but if not, it may be parasites. The turtle can develop a respiratory infection from this as well. Just to be safe I would call a vet. You also may want to clean the tank completely, removing all the water and scrubbing everything (no soap) use vinegar, then rinse it well. After that watch to see if the worms return. If they do it may be parasites from the turtle and it will need to go to a vet to be treated.

Thanks for all your help I recleaned the tank and the worms did not return. I think the worms came from some plant that was near the rocks I took out of their tank when I cleaned it and I just didn\'t notice them.
Kantele
Level 2
Level 2

Also consider that it could be mosquito larvae, sometimes when water has been a long time in the tank, mosquitos like this water to put their eggs, and they become larvae. This worms are tiny and red and swim like bending their body over and over.
  • Information