soft shell and swallowing wierd

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
papasmitt

hello
my RES had a some food stuck in its throt and would not eat and was swallowing weird so i took it out and helped it dislog the food and for a while it was ok but now it is back to swalloing wierd it looks like it is in pain and it wont do anything but sit there also it shell has become very soft i was wondering if anyone had any ideas
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

First, if there is a problem with it swallowing I would find a vet ASAP! The problem though may not be that the turtle is having a hard time swallowing, but having a hard time breathing, which is more likely. It probably has a respiratory infection. It looks like they are yawning or opening and closing their mouth. They are gasping for air. I suspect with that and the fact the shell is soft that you do not have a proper set up. It is URGENT that you do the following things immediately! First, I hope it is in an aquarium. It should have 10 gal for every inch of shell. More importantly it should have a heater on the aquarium. The water should be between 78-82, but since it seems it may have a respiratory infection, I would increase it to 85. Then, it should have a UVB light of 3.0-5.0 for simulation of the sun. If they do not have this they can not absorb calcium and the turtle will get metabolic bone disease. This is a softening of not only the shell but bones as well and it is painful. Your turtle sounds like it is not in good shape and I would work on this immediately. The other light you need is a basking light, which a regular bulb will suffice as long as it keeps the basking area 7-10 degrees warmer than the water. You need a basking area where the turtle can get out of the water to dry it\'s shell to prevent fungus. I personally would look in the phone book and see if you can find a vet that treats reptiles. Mine had this infection and I took it in. I had to take it back every other day to get a shot for 5 days. The vet recommended changing the water every other day as well because the water carries the infection and can reinfect the turtle. I also recommend getting calcium powder to coat the food in while trying to get the shell hard again. Just dampen the food and roll it in the powder before you feed the turtle. I had to do this as my turtle\'s shell began to soften because I had the wrong light. Let us know how it goes.
papasmitt

i have the proper set up i have all the stuff that was mentioned above and i realized that the shell is soft due to it not getting out of the water so i am taking it out everyday to dry out and it seems to be working thank you for the help and i will call aa vet asap agin i thank you for your input
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

he probably scratched his throat
he will probably be fine
try feeding him live fish
my res loves them
  • Information