Help my turtle doesnt eat

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Mariana

Hi please help me! My turtle doesn’t eat since about 4 weeks.

It started with an infection in the conch it seems that she is recovering from that because the white part is getting smaller (we treated her with local iode), the vet then told us that she might has a stomach infection or an hepatic problem, so he treated her with “gentamicine” 0.2 ml (I don’t know if these are the correct names in English, my apologies) for five days and it didn’t work, so another vet gave her “ampiciline” 0.3ml and it doesn’t seem to work either.

We have been feeding her with babies food and with a supplement called “nutrigel” that is actually for cats and dogs ( but when she was sick once we gave her and we obtain excellent results). But she doesn’t want to eat or even smell the food.

We are getting desperate because we live in Mexico City and it seems that there are no veterinaries that know a lot of turtles here so actually nobody is helping us!!

The temperature of the water is about 25°C (I know it is low but we are trying our best, the Winter in Mexico has been so cold this year for us)

Please contact me as soon as possible because we don’t know what else to do the last thing that we want is she to get worse.

Thanks a lot
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I do not remember the difference in Celcius vs Farenheit. But I know that if the water is too cold the turtle will not eat. It sounds like you may not have a proper set up for your turtle. If you have gone through all the trouble with treating it I am sure you want a proper set up so it will live. You must have a heater for the turtle. You can look up the conversion for Farenheit to Celcius, but the Farenheit should be 78-82 and the basking area, which I hope you have, if not it may be the reason for the shell fungus, should have a light source that keeps the area about 7-10 degrees warmer than the water as well as a UVB light with 3.0-5.0 to simulate outside light. This prevents the shell from softening as well as the bones. With the troubles the turtle sounds like it has had, it sounds like you may not have the setup it needs. You should have a filter and a container that is 10 gals for every inch of shell. So if it is say 3 inches the tank should be 30 gallons. Again, I do not know the metric conversions off the top of my head. Hope this helps. If this is all being done, then I am not sure why the turtle is not eating, but I suspect that these may be the problem.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

my turtle is sick now but he still eats
i give him guppies (live) he loves them
try that
  • Information