is this type of food ok to give?

Discussions about turtles.
MoMof2RedEarSliders
Level 1
Level 1

i have 2 red ear sliders and i know thats its ok to give them meat like turkey and chicken,,,, but is it ok to give them ham too ,, and is it ok to give them like lunch meat like ham, turkey, chicken, bologna and hot dogs,,, is it ok to give them either of that or all of i know not all together but a diffrent meat every day i find it cheaper for me to feed them like that well if any one can help me with this please respond to me ok. thanks!?
pho32
Level 1
Level 1

They will eat it, but it isnt necessarly the best, perhaps for a treat, unless you want fat turtles!!
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Do not give that type of meat to them. It is best not to give lunch meats either. You want to give them something without preservatives and spices. If you occasionally give turkey or chicken, be sure it is well cooked so as not to pass on salmonella. It is better to give shrimp, crickets, worms. Be sure not to give too much. They should be given occasionally with mostly a diet of vegetation. Too much protein is not good for them and can cause shell deformaties. I would stay away from any prepared meats. Just as it is not good for dogs and cats it is not good for them. It is best to stick with what they would find in the wild, like bugs.
  • Information