Is my turtle sick?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

My RES wakes up from her land setup with a runny nose,doesn\'t eat,and blows small and sometimes large bubbles in her water setup. She used to swim around but now all she wants to do is sleep and bask instead !! Please tell me whats wrong with my RES!
Petunia89
Level 2
Level 2

Sounds like a respiratory infection to me. You have a tank heater right? If so, up the temp and then get to a vet! There are some posts on what to do until you can get medical attention, just look up int he archives. A really good post was by Mariza. Good luck!!
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Mine got over this a couple months ago. I took him to the vet for antibiotic shots. It was a series of 5 shots every other day. The tank needs to be changed every other day. If you take it for treatment, I would change it the day it gets the shot. Be sure the water is warmer than usual 82-85 and the basking area is warm. Mine had the same symptoms and only went in the water to wet and came back out. It even slept on the basking area. It took about 3 days to see a good improvement once the shots were started. I would check the phone book for local vets, often they will state they care for reptiles as well. Good luck and dont wait too long...If you read the post about the sick turtle you will see they can die from this.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Good luck. Let us know how he\'s doing.
Last edited by mariza on Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks Yall for all of your help now my RES just has a runny nose.Now she\'s hyper and doing well and much better.

PS.How do you cure a runny nose on a RES?
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

when u say runny nose what is coming out
what color is it
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Keep an eye out because it is not over yet. The symptoms can worsen. That is how the infection starts. Keep the water warm and no drafts and watch the turtle for any other signs.

When I say runny nose the color is clear and what is coming out is snot.
  • Information