sick turtle

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
tiffany326
Level 1
Level 1

im taking care of my friend\'s turtles and one of them is really sick - lies in the basking light, neck bulges far out when he breathes, left eye swollen shut, tilts in the water dramatically - it sounds like a respiratory infection. although no breathing through the mouth as of yet.... i feel soooo bad for the little guy - i called the vet and its really expensive to go and i do not feel like i should pay for it - does anyone know a way to cure him without going to the vet - i read a post that mariza wrote about keeping the turtles in a box, and if that is the best way - i am wondering do you keep the turtle in the box for the whole day and then give him a water soak - how long should he be in the box? i feel bad but i do not have $128 for someone elses pet (and the friend doesnt have the money either to pay me back) can someone give me some advice?
thanx!
tiffany326
Level 1
Level 1

i have the water heater turned up to 84 and i even left the basking light on all night for the little guy.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Mariza has given instructions pretty specifically about this. My turtle got over one a couple months ago. I took it to the vet and got it antibiotic shots. Mine was 35.00 for the office visit and then 5.00 a shot for a series of 5 shots. You may see if you can consult a vet about doing it yourself, but you would have to be careful of the dosage and would need to know how much it weighs. Turn the water up to about 85, no more. The vet told me it didnt need to be taken out and put in a dry box. If you notice it probably is not in the water much anyhow. Leaving it there gives it the chance to drink. Keep the basking area warm and be sure there are no drafts. Mariza had suggested also a seperate area for vitamins in the water. You may want to use a glass bowl with a heating pad under it and drop some baby vitamins into it. They arent expensive. How long are you watching the turtle? Your friend should get it to the vet ASAP. Often turtles die from this. The eye may be something seperate, but I\'m not sure. Mine\'s eyes didnt look good when he was sick. Especially not until he got in the water. By the way, you need to change the water atleast every other day to get rid of the infection in the water. Good luck!
Last edited by shelngav on Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The \"tilting dramatically\" in the water most likely means pneumonia, which will be fatal if not treated. This is beyond a respiratory infection. The turtle needs a vet. Your friend should have given you a number where s/he could be reached. If you have it, can you call your friend and try to work out some kind of arrangement for paying you back? Vets fees also do vary. Try more than one if you haven\'t already. See if there are other\'s near you at http://www.arav.org/USMembers.htm
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/vetlisting.htm
tiffany326
Level 1
Level 1

sad to say - the little guy has died! thanx for the help though!
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

How sad! It has most likely been sick for a while. The symptoms dont show right away and when they are that obvious it is pretty bad.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I\'m always am so sorry to hear it when something like this has happened. Turtles take a long time to show symptoms, and when they do, as was said above, they are really sick. Time is of the essence in getting them treatment.
Last edited by mariza on Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angel204

Sorry that the turtle died.
  • Information