my turts are biting each other!!!!!!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
schwansguy

Why are my western painted turts biting each other! I need to know what to do before they cause each other serious damage. They bite at their faces, legs, shells any part of each other.

Schwansguy
Herbertluver
Level 2
Level 2

What are the genders of your turtles. If it is two males than the behavior may only get worse and the two should be seperated before one is seriously hurt. If keeping multiple turtles in one confinement it is always best to get two females and one male. This creates a nice balance.
schwansguy

Streak has a long fat tail and long claws. Spot has short claws and tail. Does that make Streak the male?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

What size is the tank and what size are your turtles? A guide for tank size is 10 gallons of tank per inch of shell lengthwise. If your turtles are 3 inches long each, they need to be in at least a 60 gallon tank. If they are living in too-crowded conditions, they are likely to become aggressive.

If their tank is too small, get them one that\'s an appropriate size. If they\'re already in a tank that\'s a good size, separate them before one gets hurt. (Some turtles that were compatible as babies may not continue to be so as they grow.)
  • Information