Shell discoloration

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Moon

I\'ve had my slider for alittle over a year. It was a gift and I knew nothing about tutrles. He\'s been a trooper as I\'ve played with his environment over many months trying to get it right. There is so much infomation and it\'s all different. He\'s gone from about 3 inches in shell length to about 5 inches in the last year. About 6 weeks ago I noticed his shell is lightening around the edges and I\'m concerned. I don\'t really have the money to take him to a vet and the only things I\'ve found about shells is shell rot and soft shell syndrome. I don\'t know if it\'s either of these. It has turned an amber/yellow color on the edges and I wouldn\'t say it\'s translucent, but the color is very light. Anyone know what this is and if it\'s something I\'m doing wrong? He eats: mostly greens (spinach, kale, leaf lettuce)and a mix of veggies (about 50% of diet), frozen bloodworms & frozen fish cubes (about 20% of diet), and reptomin (about 30% of diet). I feed him about every 3 days. He\'s in a 25 gallon tank with a submerged filter for a 100 gallon tank. It\'s a clear bottom and he has a basking area that he uses several times a day with a 75 watt uv bulb. I change his water about every 45 days. His tank stays really clean because I take him out to feed him in a seperate tub of water to keep the tank from getting disgusting from excess food. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Do you have a UVB light? This is necessary for the turtle to absorb calcium and keep it\'s shell hard. It will get metabolic bone disease, soft shell, if not. The bones get soft as well as the shell. If the shell is hard and you have the proper lighting in addition to the basking light, then it is probably just the shell (scutes) shedding. This happens especially with a lot of growth, which you mentioned.
  • Information