do turtles smell bad?

Discussions about turtles.
jolene

we live in a 400 square foot apartment in nyc. my son wants a turtle but i am concerned it may stink up our tiny apartment. what do you think?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I think it all depends on how well you keep the aquarium clean and how good of a filtration system you have. Mine never smells, but I hear others say theirs does. I am not sure of the reason. Before you do decide to purchase a turtle. Please research it well. They are not cheap and take a good deal of care, more so than fish. They grow to be pretty big as well and with a single turtle you may be looking at an end result of an aquarium around 100 gal. Remember you will be the one cleaning the tank etc. Mine is a 10 gal now and it takes me from 1-1 1/2 hrs to properly clean. I drain and take out everything, scrub it all and replace it all about once a week.
pho32
Level 1
Level 1

id the tank isnt large enough, you might have to clean in every other day to keep it from becoming a sewer, filtration is very important.

I have a 30 gal tank and a pretty good filter system with it. My tank does not stink, but it is still a lot of work to keep the tank up in order for it not to smell. I clean the filter about once a week and do a half tank change about every 2 weeks. I only completely clean the tank out about once a month, and it takes about 2 plus hours to scrub everything. Turtles are a great pet if you have the time to take good care of them.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Well, i clean my turtles tank once a week and i never notice any smell, soon i am upgrading to a 55 gallon with a filstar xp3(filter) my filter is made for 175 gallon fish tanks so i will probably have to clean the tank once a month at most, with water changes every 4 weeks and vaccume the gravel. If your son keeps the tank clean and has a good filer than it shouldnt smell. If you get a filter invest in a good one it will be worth it.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

when i first got my res i was noticeing a smell but the lady at my pet store told me i was over feeding him
i cut down his food and it stoped stinkin

When I got my RES and I didn\'t have a filter I would wait 1-2 days and when I dumped the old water out it stunk really bad.So if you have or are thinking about getting a turtle you should probboly get a filter and clean it regually.Hope this helps you alot.
  • Information