turtle does not grow

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

I got 5 baby red-eared sliders in August. They were all about an inch long. Now 4 of them are about 2 inches but one remains at 1 inch. I don\'t know why he won\'t grow. He eats(not as much as the others). Anyone know of a reason why? Maybe he\'s just a dwarf turtle. Maybe it\'s internal parasites?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

With 5 turtles, how big a tank do you have for them? A guide is 10 gallons of water per inch of shell, front to back. If you have four turtles with 2-inch shells and one with a 1-inch shell, they ideally should be in a 90-gallon tank/container. If they are in a cramped space, they will be stressed and aggression could result. Perhaps the smallest one is being most affected by lack of space (if you have them in a too-small tank).
Last edited by mariza on Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for your reply!

I know their tank is way too small for them. I have a 15 gallon and they\'re all in there. I am saving up to buy a larger tank (will try to get larger than 90 gal) before the end of the year.
They seem happy. They swim around, bask, stick up against the glass. The little guy likes to perch himself on top of the heating tube (don\'t worry.. have a protective casing over the heater).
  • Information