thought turtle was dead

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
alliefort

My nine yr old has two turtles. She brought the larger one to me Thanksgiving morning limp. I thought he was dead. He didn\'t move and he was completely limp. She said she found him under the filter upside down. We buried him. Today, Sunday my oldest daughter dug him up (don\'t ask why) and he was alive and kicking!!! how he survived the four days underground in a box in 40 degree temperatures beats me. Can you advise as to what might have happened. Why he was limp?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

It is possible it drowned. Although they drown, they can be revived because they can hold their breath for so long. There is a way to resussitate them. I found a site, but it is on my other computer. Sounds like it revived somehow. The ground may have been warmer underneath, which may have been why he didnt hibernate. Pretty amazing! Yea!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Wow. A turtle\'s heart may continue to beat for hours even though it may appear to be dead.

It would be good to change the position of the filter so he can\'t get trapped under it--you don\'t want to go through the same thing a second time.
  • Information