Looking to get a Pet Turtle

Discussions about turtles.
starrd722

I\'m looking to get a new pet turtle and have been researching what kind of habitat and food i will need to get to take care of it. but i\'m not sure what type of turtle would be right for my family. i have a two year old daughter and another baby on the way and i\'m going to be the main caretaker of the turtle but i don\'t want my children to get hurt or sick when i take the turtle out of its habitat. i\'m wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions i can use to find the right kind of turtle and the right kind of habitat and food for it. any advice is good advice. thank you.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Turtles may not be the best pet with small children. Actually any reptile for that matter. The reason being you must be very cautious about salmonella. Before and after handling the turtle or anything that has contact with the turtle or tank, YOU MUST WASH YOUR HANDS. I use an antibacterial soap, but I think any soap is ok. In the 70\'s they banned the sale of the slider under 4 inches as I guess many children were putting them in their mouths, since they were about silver dollar size, or smaller. Where were the parents? Anyhow, all reptiles carry the possibility of salmonella. Is the turtle for you or the kids? They are great to watch swim around, but I dont recommend them handling them at all. Especially as young as the one is there is a chance of hurting the turtle as well. You may want to pick another pet if it is for the child.
starrd722

thanks for the info. i have been doing all sorts of research and decided that i\'m going to wait until i have a place to put it so the kids can\'t get to it without me being there or my wife. i am a big animal lover and i was able to talk my wife into letting me get a turtle so it is going to be my pet but i am worried about my kids hurting or being hurt by the turtle so that is why i\'ve decided to wait. i was just so excited to get one that i didn\'t want to make the mistake of just going out and getting one and i\'m glad i looked into it cause i would have hated getting on of those deathbowls and not realizing it until it was too late. see you all again soon.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Check this Out, http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Articl ... turtle.htm its a really good detailed artical on choosing your first turtle.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

That\'s great, because I bought one off a street vendor in Los Angeles, unknowing that the turtle was illegal to sell, as it was only the size between a quarter and a 50 cent piece. I am a researcher, lucky for Herman. I went home and looked up all I needed to know to take care of him. It was a great deal larger expense than I had anticipated, but it has been worth it. I got it for my husband too. He had just been talking fondly about a baby turtle he had as a kid for about a week. He found it in the wild at his grandmother\'s farm and let it go back to the pond. I am glad to hear you have researched well before hand.
  • Information