More Questions

Discussions about turtles.
OkinawaMel
Level 1
Level 1

1) since our tank is so big and their swimming area is nice size, would it be a bad idea to put a couple of little social fish in with them?

2) Although when we bought our Turts, they were in the same tank, living on top of each other. But seeing as how they are different species is it wise to keep them together?

I know I have tons questions, I want to give our Turts the best possible home.

Thanks again!
sbgol80
Level 2
Level 2

1) Go ahead and put some fish in with them. I have 2-3 dozen in my 55 gal. The turts will probably end up eating the fish so don\'t spend too much on fish unless you want them to be a source of food.

2) I wouldn\'t see it a problem keeping them together unless they become aggressive towards one another. I bought two that were kept int he same tank and they were fine for about a year. Then, the male started biting and causing some bleeding to the others neck. I had to separate. Now, there is another male in with the female that was bit and they have no problems at all. JUst keep an eye out for any aggression. I think it just depends on each turtle.
OkinawaMel
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you. I was figuring as much. Right now they seem ok. But they are still babies.

Thanks again!
sbgol80
Level 2
Level 2

Just curious, you have a RES and what is the other?
OkinawaMel
Level 1
Level 1

I haven\'t been able to identify the other species yet. I have been searching all over. I will just have to get an interpreter to translate the japanese at the pet store for me. Cosmo ( my little black mystery turt ) seems to be changing colors somewhat so it is getting even harder to correctly identify him. Both Cosmo and Wanda ( my RES ) were in the same tank at the store. So I guess while see....

Thanks!
tracey8051
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. In my tank I have 3 RES, 2 algae eaters, 3 tiger barbs (to eat the rest of the algae) and about a dozen feeder fish. So far the turtles haven\'t tried to eat any of the fish. They actually like to play with the fish and the tiger barbs can often be seen cleaning the turtle shells, which is neat.
The guy at the pet store said the tiger barbs would beat up the feeders, but they pretty much stick together and I haven\'t seen any fights at all.

The only problem I do have, is now one of my cats thinks the tank is his private fishing hole. Have you ever tried to catch a cat with a turtle hanging on it\'s face? Not easy, I assure you.
OkinawaMel
Level 1
Level 1

It sounds like you have a busy tank. So far our little fish stay pretty close to the bottom and have stayed their distance, expect for an occansional nudge to wake up Wanda.

LOL.....
  • Information