Please help... *worried*

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
ihearonlysilence

I\'m worried about my new red ear slider. I had two several years ago who grew from only a couple inches to almost a foot in length, so I do know how to take care of them. A few days ago I bought a baby red ear slider from Pestmart, and he (not sure of gender yet, too young) is barely larger than a quarter! On the way home I noticed he has several scars/dents in his shell, on the top as well as the bottom. I\'ve tried feeding him lettuce, regular turtle pellets, small brine shrimp, and even fish flakes, but he won\'t eat any of them. I may leave the room and he is in one position, and when I return 5 hours later he hasn\'t moved at all. He is incredibly inactive. Is he sick, or just adjusting to his new environment? An could the dents and scars on his shell be affecting him? They aren\'t that deep or anything, so I\'m not sure...???
ihearonlysilence

Also I don\'t know if this is relevant or not but he very rarely opens his eyes. On the occasion that he does walk around and stuff he almost always keeps his eyes closed still. Please help?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I know you said you know how to take care of them, but I just have to ask, what is the water temp. and basking area temp.? His inactivity, his not eating, and his eyes being closed all points to a respiratory infection. Does he have any other symptoms--tilting to one side in the water, wheezing, mucus, for example? I don\'t know what set-up you have for him, but if you haven\'t already, I would up the temps.--water temp to about 84F, basking area about 92F. He\'s probably weak, so don\'t have the water deep. Keep him out of drafts/breezes. The heat should boost his immune system to better fight any infection. If he doesn\'t show any signs of improvement quickly, it would be good to take him to a herp vet ASAP. I\'m assuming you have one, but if you don\'t, try http://www.arav.org/USMembers.htm for the nearest one to you. Let us know what happens.
  • Information