my turtle is vomiting :(

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
qdinh

Hi,
I have two Red Ear Sliders, (one male and one female) which are both about 5 years old. Today when I fed my turtles, the male one ate as usual for about 2 minutes, but then suddenly, he started vomiting. After this vomiting, he started to look weak but kept on looking for food. He then vomited again, and then a third time. After all this vomiting, he struggled to get onto the basking area, but then quickly slid back into the water to vomit yet once again. After about four hours, he started to be a little active again so we fed him a little bit more (about 5 pellets,) and he seems to be resting now. why has he been vomiting? is there something we can do to help him?

thanks,
quyen
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The vomiting happened just when he was eating? If so, were the pieces too large for him to swallow? Turtles tend to gulp down food no matter how big the piece is. My turtle will have his mouth completely full, yet if he sees me still holding something between my fingers he\'ll come over to them and try to stuff whatever it is into his already full mouth as well. I sometimes have to cover the food I\'m holding so he remembers he\'s got food in his mouth and swallows. Try smaller pieces or try putting one or two pieces of food in at a time and slowly add more, making sure he\'s eaten what you\'ve given him before adding more.
  • Information