My turtle won\'t bask

Discussions about turtles.
patrizia_napoli

I have a red ear slider turtle. He is about 3 months old. I read up on the care and special need and I seem to be doing really well. Now I provided my turtle with a basking space, and i have a heat lamp directly on top of it. He doesn\'t seem to like to bask. He loves staying in the water and does not go on his rock at all. I take him out everyday for one hour to feed him. When I put him in his feeding container, I also shine the heat lamp on him but now it seems that his shell is getting a little soft. I also use flukes calcium powder but i cannot dip his food in it because he refuses to eat out of water so the calcium washes away. If there is anything i can do, please let me know.
Thanks
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

First, you need to use a thermometer and be sure the basking area is about 10 degrees warmer than the water or it will have no reason to get out. Second, DO you have a UVB light on your turtle? It sounds like you dont. Calcium will do no good without the light as the light aids the absorption of the calcium. They usually come in a fluorscent tube. It needs to be 3-8, I dont know the measurement, but mine is a Reptisun 5.0 so it is a five. The regular aquarium lights are NO GOOD. The turtle is getting metabolic bone disease. It is the softening of the bones and shell. I am told it is also painful. I made the mistake of not having the UVB when I thought I did and mine began getting it. I got the light right away and began coating the food in calcium powder with Vit D. All his food got it. His shell was much better in about 2-3 weeks.
  • Information