My turtles only eat shrimp

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Kantele
Level 2
Level 2

My turtles just want to eat shrimp...I have tried to fee them Reptomin for babies and they don\'t eat it, but as soon as a drop some shrimps in the tank they go quickly and eat them...how can I get them to eat the reptomin sice i know that feeding them shrimp only is not good enouh fr their health. Any suggestions???
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

Are the pellets too hard? I try to soften them up in some warm water before feeding it to them. I noticed that if I dumped the hard pellets straight from the bottle, my turtles gnaw on it for a bit but then lose interest. Only the extremely hungry ones keep trying to eat it.

I\'m no expert.. but maybe you can also try withholding the shrimp from them. Don\'t starve them.. but try it for one day. Don\'t put any shrimp in, just the pellets. The next day, put in the pellets again. They should be hungry enough to go for the pellets. If they still don\'t go for it.. then maybe they just don\'t like it. Turtles are really picky eaters.
Kantele
Level 2
Level 2

Ok...thanks. I will try doing that, to see if i get some positive results with the pellets.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Turtles are smart and if they think they can get their favorite they will. Try giving them fresh veggies. Mine loves Romaine lettuce (not iceberg). You can try many different veggies, but limit Broccoli, spinach and bananas. They deplete vitamins, I think A. You can also occasionally give crickets, earthworms (not from bait shop in maneure)fish, and other bugs, but limited protein. It is always good to mix it up so they dont get too spoiled on one thing.
  • Information