Decreased Activity and feeding

Discussions about turtles.
KURO1

I have two questions that I hope somebody may help me with. I have two RES that were approx. the same size when I purchased them (babies). It has been several months now, and one is very much larger than the other who is roughly still the same baby size. And now, the smaller one is sleeping all the time, and is difficult to wake up. The water temp is kept near 80 F, so I don\'t think he is in hibernation(?) Any suggestions would be appreciated.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I really dont know for sure what is going on. It may have a respiratory infection or even parasites. I recommend getting it to a vet as soon as possible and incase of infection you need to seperate them and clean the aquarium very well before putting the larger turtle back in. If you are careful in thoroughly rinsing you can use a dilution of bleach and water to clean all the aquarium stuff and put it back. Good luck and let us know.
KURO1

Thanks for the feedback. Actually in the past few days, the smaller turtle has started to loose it\'s scales from the shell (The outer rim). I supposed the area does look \"fleshy\" although I am not sure what to look for. I have isolated him (out of water) for now, but would like some help. Thanks.
  • Information