Lots of Questions! I seriously need help!

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Melanie
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a 60 gallon tank, 2 RES, and I\'m soon getting a magnum 350 filter!

I need help for my basking area.. At first I was going to glue in a piece of glass for a shelf, but I decided not too. Right now I\'m using cork bark, but I dont like it too much.It never stays in place, and my female RES is too heavy for it! What do I do? I like to keep the water pretty high.

I need to get a UVB light, but what about the light hood/fixture? Where can I get one that isn\'t so expensive? And how do I place it over my aquarium? In the middle of my aquarium there is a piece of glass, will that harm the light?

Can live plants survive in the tank? Will a UVB light help them keep alive?

Sorry for all the questions! I just really want my aquarium to be great, right now it looks bad! lol THANK YOU !!!

Melanie
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

Well I have a 29 gal. tall and I also like to keep my water high...I have 2 baby RES\' and they love it!!! I cut a piece of plexi glass and placed it in the tank at an angle<<<the top part out towards the middle of the tank>>>then I used aquarium silicon to adhere it to the sides and bottom(make sure that it doesn\'t leak) After about 48 hrs it was dry enough to set up the basking area....I filled the bottom(narrower end) with bricks then some larger rocks,at the top I used large aquarium gravel.I put a cave up on the basking area so my turts can climb and hide....I don\'t know about the plants<<<yet>>>.........I have a combo light hood for my tank..it holds the black night light..the uv light.. and the daylight...they come in different sizes..mine is a 30\" and paid $60 <<not including the bulbs>>>>I also have it set on a heat resistent wire mesh lid(so it doesn\'t fall into the tank) I hope this can give you an idea...GOOD LUCK!!!
Last edited by Heather on Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

You also said that there is piece of glass in the middle of your aquarium...what is that for???
LuciasAmen-ra
Level 3
Level 3

under the light, there is a piece of glass. it was designed for fish then, i just took out the glass and put like metal screen under it.
l8or g8or

Check out my webpage - \"Joe\'s Tank\"... I made a basking area out of plexi glass and aquaruium gravel. Also, I made the top to my tank. I used 4 pieces of wood, and went to the store and bought what is used to make rabbit cages to put on top (small wire squares) The entire lid cost me a whole $7.00 to make plus my time. I spray painted the wood black before assembling, and it looks great on top of my tank. I cut the sides of it so the filter would fit, and also a piece out of it so the cord for my heater to fit through. A 1 inch square out of the screen top so I can feed Joe without having to remove the top. My light fixture sits right on top right above her basking area. If you want a better picture of the lid that I made, email me and I will take a digital and send it to you. It was very simple to do...

http://usa.internations.net/pets/joemama/joe_mama.html
l8or g8or

one more thing.... your turtle will eat your plants!! (at least mine did) Also, make sure the silicone that you use is 100% silicone without additives. Read this article on my webpage \"Who\'s Ripping Me Off, and Why?\"
  • Information