HELP...newbie..and my baby is sick...please help

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Herbertluver
Level 2
Level 2

Hi...I\'m new here...I registered because i need help. My turtle Herbert is sick. He hasnt been making bowel movementd for about 2 days and now he has diarrhea. What could be wrong? Could it be salmonella? what can i do to help him? What could help? Any advice you could give would help a lot. Please...someone. I\'m very afraid...hes my first turtle and i love him dearly...thanx in advance.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I doubt salmonella is causing the diarrhea(most reptiles are carriers and shed the bacteria from their intestines in times of illness/stress in even normal-looking poop). What has he been eating? Is there any blood in the poop? Does he have any other symptoms?
Herbertluver
Level 2
Level 2

Hi there thanks for replying. Herbert has gotten better I am almost certain that his diarrhea was caused by overfeeding. He had been indulging in brocolli. I now feed him every other day and he seems to be doing fine.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Be careful of broccoli. It depletes Vitamin A. I dont feed any to my RES. Spinach and bananas also are bad as well as the cabbage family. Try Romaine lettuce, mine loves it and carrots. The carrots are a great source of Vit A. Glad to hear your turtle is better.
  • Information