Turtle Help!!!!

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
OkinawaMel
Level 1
Level 1

OK, Hi all I am new and need some help. My family and I live in Japan and we went out in town a bought 2 little turtles. Seeing as how we are Americans and don\'t speak much Japanese I couldn\'t get any turtle info and now I think they might be sick.

I don\'t even know kind they are or what they need. Any help would be great. The black one is getting slimy and stuff and barely moves around. I bought a tank made for turtles and it came with what I think was food and these little crystal things.

One is green, a girl I think and the other is black and quite a bit smaller and i am thinking is a boy.

I know I sound like an idiot, I hope some one can help. Thank you so much
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

first of all we need to know the species, loook around on this sitem or look at the pics from the care sheets at www.austinsturtlepage.com . i just need more info before i can help. also you should try to keep the water between 78-82 if they are little. you will probably need a heat lamp and a uvb bulb, i think the tank yoiu baught has a lowerd side so you can fit a filter in it, a filter will help alot(if the turtles are aquatic).
OkinawaMel
Level 1
Level 1

HI, thanks so much,

Well, I think one is a RES but I can seem to find the black one ( Little Dude ) anywhere. He is about 1-2 inches across and doesn\'t swim well, although he has taken to sleeping in the water next to the filter. I have made then a warm basking area and they buries themselves half way in the rocks last night to sleep. The tank we have is only 5 gallons and we are going to get a bigger one this weekend. Is it better to have the smaller rocks? I have some small ones and medium ones, they seem to move around one them ok, but they are pretty little. Are they supposed to smell? Because these guys smell REALLY bad. after we put the filter in not so much, but I had know idea they were so dirty. they are supposed to be dirty animals though.....right? Thank you so much for your help I am new to this and I want to give them the best home I can.

They are eating these pellet things we got from the pet store.

Your site hase been really helpful, thanks so much.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Wow. I just returned to the States from Japan (Tokyo) three weeks ago. The little black turtle--does he have a rather long skinny tail? See if you can identify him from pictures at http://www.chelonia.org/bygeography.htm (click on where you are).
OkinawaMel
Level 1
Level 1

long and skinny... thats so great, would you happen to know if I can take them back to the states with me?

thank so much
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I don\'t think the RES will be a big problem, at least with U.S.Customs. The airlines are a different story--by any chance is your family with the military?

You didn\'t say what the black one was (I have no idea what it is, I think I know what you\'re talking about, though.) Could you identify it from that link? Whether you can bring it or not depends on if it\'s an endangered species or not (and maybe whether it\'s native to Japan or not). You have to do some research (first get the black one identified). Can you post a pic?
OkinawaMel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, thanks so much for getting back to me. I looked through the pics on the link you gave me and there was one turtle that Little Dude could be but, ours is so little right now that I couldn\'t tell for sure. The Leatherback Sea Turtle, only I can\'t imagine that I bought a Sea turtle, is that possible? Little Dude, had a long skinny tail and is more oval shaped than round. His claws aren\'t webbed and he\'s pretty black and white.

Yes, we are a military family. We aren\'t due to rotate back to the states any time soon however. Would a trip like that be to much stress on the turtles? I have a pic that I will post not sure how good it is though....
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I doubt you bought a sea turtle. Are his back feet webbed? If so, he\'s aquatic or semi-aquatic. Really try to identify him so you can give him a proper habitat.
  • Information