Respiratory Infection?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

I have two young RES- between a 1 1/8\" and 1 1/2\". Both were doing great - eating well, active. Then the smaller one started basking ALL the time, rubbing his eyes, would blow bubbles when he was in the water, not eating so well...so I took him to the vet figuring he has a respiratory infection. Was sent home with antibiotics. He\'s on day three and seems to be doing a little better - swimming on his own, eating better, but I\'m a little concerned because often he seems to have problems swallowing - as if it\'s painful, pulling his head in quickly, arching to one side. He also will balance on his front legs and \"swim\" his back legs. Could he have an obstruction or be constipated? I don\'t have a clue what turtle waste looks like! I\'ve never witnessed either passing anything. Any suggestions?
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

Yes your poor lil turtle has a respitory infection .I assume you have a proper setup with a heater and uvb lamp if not get one.Keep up with the antibiotics and if the problem persists take him back to the vet.
deesygirl

What kind of substrate are you using. It sounds like he may have swallowed something?
I have never delt with an infection so I am not sure if those behaviors are normal in the recovery process or not.

My turtles actually have a good setup - unfortunately like so many people I didn\'t know what I was getting myself into when I bought them. Fortunately someone at PetsMart actually has one and loaded my cart up with everything they need. Do have a heat lamp and water heater. The basking area is between 85 and 90 degrees, the water since he\'s not been feeling well is up to 81 degrees. Instead of substrate (did have originally until I started reading all of the sites devoted to turtles!) I have stone-appearance lamanent flooring on the bottom. Am a little concerned about astro-turf on one of the basking areas. They rarely ever bask there- prefer a fake rock, but might he have eaten a piece of astro turf? They do have live plants (can\'t remember what they\'re called) in the tank, but other than that I feed them outside of the tank. Ben does seem to be more active and ate really well yesterday (haven\'t feed yet today). Could all of his symptoms be strictly respiratory related or do the occasional looks of pain when swallowing and the kicking of the back feet indicate something else?
Never knew how much maintenance was involved with these guys, but I adore them! Ben seemed to respond to my voice last night...of course then I had to stick him with the antibiotic....
Thanks for your replies!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

BTW, what is stone-appearance lamanent?
Last edited by mariza on Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi, Mariza-
The stone laminent is just floor tiling from Lowe\'s. I removed all of the adhesive and then put in on the bottom of the aquarium with aquarium sealant. It has a nice natural stone look, but is a breeze to clean! Added some real river stones as well, so they have place to climb on in the water, then they have other basking areas as well.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

u asked about the waste it is like a brown w/ a green tint to it u\'ll know when u see it looks like poop
and i was worried my res was constipeated to i read to put him in warm water (warmer then usual) but not to hot for a lil while them put them back in reg. tank
what i did was put warmer water in my tank and after a few weeks of no poop he ended up doin some so i think the warm water trick worked

Yep it sounds like your turtle has respiratory infection mine had it a few weeks ago.You need to make sure their water is warm but not too warm it may toast them and there mustn\'t be any drafts whatsoever.
Hope this helps ya.

PS.Let me know how your turtle makes out.

[email protected] wrote:
Yep it sounds like your turtle has respiratory infection mine had it a few weeks ago.You need to make sure their water is warm but not too warm it may toast them and there mustn\'t be any drafts whatsoever plus they need lots of light.
Hope this helps ya.

PS.Let me know how your turtle makes out.
  • Information